Air pump for ATO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone thought of connecting an air pump to an ATO system instead of a water pump?

I had an idea to do this today and thought it would be a good idea. You could run the air into a sealed reservoir while another line is running out of the reservoir into the tank. When the air pumps into the container it'll push the water into the tank. It completely removes any possibility of a water pump running dry and burning out. You will also hear when it needs to be refilled without having to check regularly.

What do you guys think?

Could easily be done, you'd just need to make sure the water line stays fixed to the bottom

The only issue I could see is that you are asking an air pump to become a miniature air compressor...... It would require at least a few psi to drive water from a sealed vessel to the tank. Since most air pumps are just simple rubber diaphragms, I'd have my doubts unless you're using a small piston pump.
Interesting idea, but at this point, it's sounds like it'd be getting too complicated for the effort..........

Last edited:
If your ATO is on the same level as your sump(provided your using one) then I don't think the demand would be any greater than that encountered when pushing air down through the back pressure created by 24" of water you would see in typical use with an air pump driving an air stone

+1 I agree with the beast. Just make sure the pump out water line is the same diameter as the normal airline so the pressure demands would be the same. Also, keep the outlet of the water line above the max fill line of the ATO so a syphon will not be created.
I wonder if a salt bucket with their air seal to protect the salt would provide a sufficient seal?

+1 I agree with the beast. Just make sure the pump out water line is the same diameter as the normal airline so the pressure demands would be the same. Also, keep the outlet of the water line above the max fill line of the ATO so a syphon will not be created.
I wonder if a salt bucket with their air seal to protect the salt would provide a sufficient seal?

I've seen gravity fed ATO done with a salt bucket. Just silicone the lid onto the bucket and add a ball valve to the top of it so you can refill when you want. It'll make an airtight seal just fine.

Back
Top Bottom