Airstone in a QT Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadManMac

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had to move my fish to the QT for awhile to treat some Ich, my question is do I need to add an airstone or will it mess with the pH? I am using a 10 gallon with a simple hang on filter that is full of poly-fiber that has been in my main filter. I fear that there is not enough O2 in the water so I want to make sure the fish get enough to get better faster.

Are you doing a heat treatment?

Surface movement and turbulence are more important than bubbles, but bubbles DO cause good surface movement and turbulence. If you can stand the sound of an airpump, it certainly will help with gas exchange. Lowering your water level an inch or so to let the water from the HOB fall farther will do the same thing. Me, I like the sound of falling water better than that of an airpump.

I would use a small powerhead aimed across the surface of the water. The airstone, while it will create surface turbulence and facilitate gas exchange, will cause a lot of salt creep. Salt creep is quite a mess to keep cleaned up and it's hard on equipment. JMHO.

Back
Top Bottom