Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsrdj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a brown algae growing on the surface of my sand. Have sucked out the top layer of sand when doing a water change but it grew back. I also cut back the lighting from 10hrs to 8 hrs. It seems to be growing just in the sand. All parameters are good nitrite 0 nitrate 0 ph 8.2 ammonia 0 alk 2.0 It is a 29 gal bio cube with multiple corals, clean up crew, crocea clam, and one fp clown and one orange spotted goby. I feed the fish once a day alternating mysis shrimp and pellets. When the lights come on later ill get a pic up.

Here are some pics.
img_931111_0_8ca82487a854bd9dbf43cb3f2c4d574f.jpg

img_931111_1_abc9c71c08a5c0a8a2788cfc2cb871da.jpg

img_931111_2_e9fe5023b2acc8d74f3320ca0c2c6efa.jpg

I use ro/do to to top off and mix salt also use phosban. Anything I could put in that will take care of that

I would try to cut down feeding from once a day to every other day. I would also rinse off the Frozen Foods with either RO water or regular tap. Also I would not Siphon up the Diatoms Bacteria as it can spread and keep coming back I would just scoop it out at least to get ride of most of it. I would try to cut down the lighting from 8hrs to 7 hrs or less. JMO. :)

How old is your tank? Relatively new? Diatoms are a natural part of tank aging and usually there is nothing you can do to get rid of them except to let them burn out themselves, which could be a few days or a few weeks, unfortunately.

From the looks of the sand, I'm going along the same lines as Devilishturtles and am thinking this is a fairly new tank. If so, it's just a normal "phase" and over the course of a few months you'll be over it.

Back
Top Bottom