Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-06-2004, 10:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1

I have a 55 gallon saltwater tank that I have had for ten years. The
live rock have been in for ten years. I have h/o lights. Protein skimmer
and a sump. I developed a algae that looks like brown cotton candy.
I am using r/o water. I removed the few coral and fish I had in the tank
and moved them to a smaller tank which is doing fine. I checked the
nitrates, nitrites and amonia levels and they are where they should be.
I turned off the lights and the algae went away. I turned the lights back
on for 7 hours a day and the algae is back. I do have an assortment of
crabs and snails in the tank. Any suggestions?

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 10:37 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,134
Isnt it cyano that reacts to the light like this. I maybe off on this one, but that sounds right. Mabye someone can clear it up.

Another possibility is "light shock." Just like you can bleach corals when you upgrade from p/c lighting to m/h unless you acclimate the tank to it, you may have starved the bad algae then fed it a huge meal (so to speak). No light for several days...then straight back up to 7hrs a day.

Also..what kind of bulbs do you use? Im assuming h/o was suppose to be N/O lighting. It sounds like you have been around long enough to know not to use shop lights because of the spectrum problems.

Have you considered putting a fuge on the tank to suck up the excess nutrients in the tank?

The one parameter you didnt mention was PO4.

Sorry for all the different options..just trying to cover all the possibilities.



175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 10:45 AM   #3
Posts: n/a
Sounds like you have a case of excess dinoflagellates aka "snot algae".... That link should help if it is, maintaining a constatnt slightly elevated ph is key in defeting it.

  Reply With Quote


Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dark green algae on sand, beard algae on plants push350z Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 6 11-04-2006 08:53 AM
Macro Algae Wanted To Buy...(Update on Ducky's Algae!) revhtree Archive 25 03-26-2005 05:56 PM
Flagfish, Algae Eating Shrimp, Siamese Algae Eaters Spoon Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 11 09-30-2003 10:51 AM
Algae eating snails & controlling algae growth Stoffer Saltwater Reef Aquaria 1 09-24-2003 08:20 PM
Algae Algae Algae in my planted tank d9hp Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 13 05-17-2003 02:52 PM

» Photo Contest Winners

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.