Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure of the name, but go with those little black snails, they are the size of an eraser head. I have about 60 in my 135g. Don't go with any snails bigger than that, if you want coral, as those big fellas absoultely destroy coral. Also, regular water changes and a 36w UV sterilizer will guarantee an algae free tank. Some people do not believe in the sterilizer, but I and all my clients swear by it. Crystal clear water and sand and tank. $70 delivered, with an extra pump, from eBay.

You need to test for nitrate and phosphate and discover the problem first.

What size tank? Do you have a refugium? Using chemipure? Over feeding? Using tap instead of RO water?

Snails and sifting gobies are good, but they don't solve the root problem. I had the same problem but I eliminated my phosphates and I'm good.

UV'a won't stop algae. They kill free floating bacteria and are aimed at keeping the water quality up so the fish stay healthy.

If it's just brown and not red it may be diatoms which are common in a new tank and will just go away.

I have an algea problem too! I have always used tap water and mixed my own sw, but I started seeing a little hair algae growth. I found a great lfs and started buying my water there. It's been 2 months now with tons of water changes and the algea is getting worse! I also tried filter media to pull out phosphates...did nothing. I have a 30 gallon tank with a 250w mh. Any suggestions?

GFO reactor. I run mine 24/7 and replace media every 2 or 3 months. I started with 7 Tablespoons for the first 4 months and now doing 15. Am at a point now that I have to supplement algae sheets since I'm running a very nutrient poor system.

It's probably brown diatoms...not really algae. Usually caused by a bit of overfeeding and too much selenium in the makeup water. There are products on the market that remove selenium and many common organics from the water...that is far more effective than a uv sterilizer (which is certainly useful for other situations). But it may be coming from poor makeup water, some salt mixes also contain too much selenium. My son claims he has overcome it by using high doses of magnesium, but I can't verify that is safe or it works.

Thanks for all your help. Im at war with high nitrates right now. Last time i checked they were at 20. I just started a refugium so maybe this will help.

Back
Top Bottom