Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-23-2012, 12:48 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwaterman
No I should probably get one of those thx
eBay has the Hanna tds digital test which works good it's like 30 bucks also you can get one that goes into the plumbing of the ro unit so the water runs through it and reads the result on a LCD screen

Old 05-23-2012, 12:58 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thx I'll get one of those

Old 05-23-2012, 12:59 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwaterman
Thx I'll get one of those
I'm gunna try everything to get this algae gone even if it costs me dearly
Old 05-23-2012, 02:06 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Algae growth consuming "all" of the Nitrates so that a test reads 0 would cause the algae growth to halt. Seems Phosphates are most likely the culprit here. Salifert makes a good phosphate test, and it's worth the 8-10 bucks.
Step 1: Fine out what your phosphate levels are.
Step 2: lower the levels via water changes (good opportunity to physically remove algae)
Step 3: Reduce nutrient load in the system either by reducing feedings or paring down your livestock.
Alternate Step 3: Increase nutrient capacity with a sump/refugium. Add macro algae for nutrient export.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Saltwaterman, it looks as though you have only posted your nitrIte readings, but I don't see the nitrAte readings from reading the thread. (I'll apologize now if I missed it.) As stated previously you ought to check both nitrAtes and phosphates when you're facing a nuisance algae outbreak. (NitrItes and ammonia should both be zero all the time in a cycled tank.) You want to target less than 5ppm for nitrAtes and 0 for phosphates. If your filters on your RO are very old, they might be letting nitrates or phophates through whenever you top up or do water changes. The way to check this is with a TDS meter checking your RO water before you add salt. If it's not zero, that could be your problem. If you are gettgin a zero, water changes and phsical removal do help to starve and remove the stuff.

Also, the algae can bind up either one to show a zero reading on either or both kits. In other words, the algae actually absorbs the stuff before you can read it in the water column. Consider adding a phosphate absorbing media to your filter if possible. (I've used a pad in the past myself. It did make my skimmer NUTS for a day.)
Old 05-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag

Also, the algae can bind up either one to show a zero reading on either or both kits. In other words, the algae actually absorbs the stuff before you can read it in the water column. Consider adding a phosphate absorbing media to your filter if possible. (I've used a pad in the past myself. It did make my skimmer NUTS for a day.)
Correct. You always will have a small level of nitrate/phosphate in your tank. It is constantly being produced to some small degree. Algae will bind it before it can even be tested for, so nitrate and phosphate coming back as 0 means nothing.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:29 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well thanks for the info rutrag, it seems I have a little work. I've ordered the TDS meter and hopefully it'll be in soon. I've recently cleaned my XP3 Canister Filter and my Emperor 240 filter, and I noticed little bugs (and I mean small) swimming around in my xp3. Is it safe for those to be their? Could they be during in the filter and releasing ammonia and other bad stuff as it cycles through the filter? I'm gunna post photos up of my tank and show you what I have.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:29 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Regular

And by showing you the photos I'm mean the algae
Old 05-24-2012, 12:31 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

The little bugs are copepods, they eat decaying matter such as in a canister. They will not hurt anything.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:32 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Regular

Algae photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1106200450.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	96391   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2534179205.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	96392  

Name:	image-3146284070.jpg
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	96393   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3471794873.jpg
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	96394  

Name:	image-3281512280.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	96395  

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com