Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism
The little bugs are copepods, they eat decaying matter such as in a canister. They will not hurt anything.
Thanks

Old 05-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

The pics you showed look like both hair algae and Cyanobacteria to me. I advise physical removal by siphoning during water changes. This is easy for the cyano, but you'll need to pull up the hair algae to get it out. I also saw you were using a canister filter which does a good job of trapping waste. Unfortunately, the waste is still in your water until you clean the canister. What is your regimen for filter maintenance?

Old 05-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Regular

Icic well I'm using the XP3 canister filter and I'll suppose I'll have to clean it again. How often do I have to clean it? I also have a Emperor 240 too but I clean that every two week assuming that will be enough. And do you know how this type of algae started? I ordered a new ballast but I'm from Canada and the want US money before I get it so I'm going to get it soon. So I'm just running on two T5 lights, one blue one white. I'm heading to Winnipeg soon in June so I'll be getting a lot stuff. And any tips on a lawn mower blenny? I might get one of those.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwaterman
Icic well I'm using the XP3 canister filter and I'll suppose I'll have to clean it again. How often do I have to clean it? I also have a Emperor 240 too but I clean that every two week assuming that will be enough. And do you know how this type of algae started? I ordered a new ballast but I'm from Canada and the want US money before I get it so I'm going to get it soon. So I'm just running on two T5 lights, one blue one white. I'm heading to Winnipeg soon in June so I'll be getting a lot stuff. And any tips on a lawn mower blenny? I might get one of those.
Would live sand help with the algae I the sand? I only have regular sand.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwaterman

Would live sand help with the algae I the sand? I only have regular sand.
Would live sand help with the algae on the sand? I only have regular sand.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Live sand is not going to help with algae. The problem is your filter and your cleaning maintenance. Canisters trap rotting organics, and if your only cleaning every two weeks then your canister is a nitrate factory. Things start to rot in less than a day, when they rot they break down, and break down until nitrates and phosphates become one of the end product. You need to clean way more often. Skimmer does the job without the maintenance.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Regular

I do have a skimmer but I have regular sand and notice it kinda looks like fanworms are growing all over te sand
Old 05-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

So whats your canister doing that your skimmer cant? Your canister is doing more harm than good in its current state.

Tube worms wont harm anything and its normal, why is that a problem?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well I lm gunna do I good cleaning in my canister filter and should I keep as much Copepods in my filter? And no I was just wondering what they were?
Old 05-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #40
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

FantasyReef Databases-Viewing item "10 Step Plan for Nuisance Algae Control"

Here is a good 10 step plan to get rid of it. Remember it did not show up over nite and it wont disapear over nite. You can do it.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com