Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Umm it did happen overnight and it stayed but I'll read what you gave here thanks

Well I've been doing all those steps except the water changes which I do every two weeks

I would do PWC`s twice a week and when you do them siphon out as much as that algea that you can. You`ll be removing the algea and reducing the excessive nutrients at the same time. Kind of like getting two birds with one stone. I would say after a month you`ll notice a big difference.

Hey all. I'm having the same problem in my 90. I am a lot worse off tho. Any more aggressive treatments you can think of?!
Attaching this pic. Pls help
image-574672520.jpg

The algae in my pic is everywhere you see very dark carpets with white patches of rock peeking through. It's BAD. I'm thinking of getting rid of my hang-on aquaclear 110 altogether and maybe going to a sump/fuge system. But that's a big project! Plus my skimmer isn't skimming properly. I'm almost sure the problem lies there. But the algae originated in my father-in laws tank and I transplanted most of his stuff. FML!....

Oilerfan said:
The algae in my pic is everywhere you see very dark carpets with white patches of rock peeking through. It's BAD. I'm thinking of getting rid of my hang-on aquaclear 110 altogether and maybe going to a sump/fuge system. But that's a big project! Plus my skimmer isn't skimming properly. I'm almost sure the problem lies there. But the algae originated in my father-in laws tank and I transplanted most of his stuff. FML!....

I got this algae when I mixed my own salt without using RODI. Hard to get out, won't make that mistake again.

I went and bought my self the phosphate kit and the nitrate kit. What levels should both be at?

Ideally, both should be at zero. However, nitrates are generally considered OK if they are less than 5ppm in a reef. Realize, however, just becasue those kits read zero, doesn't mean the algae hasn't absorbed a lot of the stuff. In particular, phosphate kits only measure unbound inorganic phosphates, which may be as little as 2% of the overall picture.

Back
Top Bottom