algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lindsikins00

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok i have had problems with cyno ( i know it is bacteria) in the past, but started to do more water changes with R/O water, and the problem isn't nearly as bad. there is now some short, fuzzy green algae growing on the rocks. maybe about 1/4 inch tall. It grows on all the rocks that were not originally live rock. (grows on tufa that i have had for almost a year) is this also a form of cyno? i hope not. It doesn't grow on the sand or anything. Doesn't really seem to be a big problem yet, but it is spreading (and i scrape some off when i do water changes) Should I be scared or concerned? Or is this regular run of the mill algae?

the short n fuzzy stuff is your "run of the mill" algae. some hermits will help keep that trimmed back (if you don't have anything against hermits) if you're using RO water then that's your first step to keeping algae down. How about the feeding? overfeeding can drive algae.

I don't think I'm really over feeding, once a day or every other day. I normally feed half a cube of frozen. I have 4 very small blue leg hermits (only about 1/4-1/2 inch) Maybe I need to get more. I had snails a long time ago (about 8 months ago) and they always fell on their back and seemed to die. I don't know what their problem was. Maybe I should try them again and get more hermits. My tank is much better stabilized now. I should get a light timer too.....I sometimes leave the light on 10-14 hrs a day
ammonia 0
trite 0
trate less then 10
ph about 8.2-8.3

I would definitely get some more hermits since they will be your best bet for this type of algae.

Back
Top Bottom