Algae!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BenPadelski

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have green algae everywhere in my tank and I dont know why. This was the main reason I quit the hobby before. I use rodi water, I have changed the bulbs, I have a clean up crew, nitrates and phosphates read 0, and im running a gfo reactor! Im seriously frustrated and getting ready to throw a grenade in the tank. It covers everything except the glass. The rocks are covered as well as the sand. Can anyone help?!?!

The main reason I can think of Is being exposed to light for to long either from sunlight through a window or tank lights on to long as soon as I short ended my light time my algae cleared right up of u want to extend light periods once its gone add algae prevent 1 or 2 times a month

My lights are on 6 hours a day and there is no windows in the room

Im wondering how often I should be changing out my gfo. I dont know how fast it gets exhausted.

Well, your nitrates and phosphates will read 0 because the algae is consuming it. Can you tell us more about the tank? It is hard to help you solve the issue without more details. How big is the tank, what livestock do you have, what kind of algae is overwhelming the tank, and how much are you feeding and what are you feeding?

The idea of sunlight being bad for a tank is incorrect. There is a nutrient variable that is necessary for algae growth. I have seen massive, beautiful, mature reef tanks that use sunlight as a supplemental light source with no Ill effects.
Here's one example-
Tank of the Month - February 2006 - Reefkeeping.com

It's definitely a nutrient issue. I too would like to know the answers to Hank's questions.

Well, your nitrates and phosphates will read 0 because the algae is consuming it. Can you tell us more about the tank? It is hard to help you solve the issue without more details. How big is the tank, what livestock do you have, what kind of algae is overwhelming the tank, and how much are you feeding and what are you feeding?

Its a 120 gallon, I have 2 maroon clownfish, a green chromis and 2 pajama cardinals in there. Its like a green mat algae. It looks like green cyano. I feed mysis mixed with flakes once a day.

Simple fix. In my 55 gallon reef I have almost double the fish you have and feed twice a week.
This will take some time though. Increase water changes, siphon out the cyano with some airline tubing during your water changes.
Cut back on your feeding, I would get rid of the flakes all together and stick to frozen which is lower in phosphates. I would do about half a cube for those fish twice a week.
It will take some time to lower the parameters down to where your issue will be resolved, so don't give up when this isn't gone in a week. Give it a month of care and you should be in good shape.

Its a 120 gallon, I have 2 maroon clownfish, a green chromis and 2 pajama cardinals in there. Its like a green mat algae. It looks like green cyano. I feed mysis mixed with flakes once a day.
First try not using flakes and make sure you rinse mysis before feeding. Most of all reduce feeding by every other day.

Gotcha. Thanks for the help. But im not so sure on the twice a week feeding. That seems kinda skimpy. And for the fast metabolism fish I wish to put in here I dont think that will cut it.

Gotcha. Thanks for the help. But im not so sure on the twice a week feeding. That seems kinda skimpy. And for the fast metabolism fish I wish to put in here I dont think that will cut it.
Which fish are those? If they are tangs, foxface rabbits, dwarf angels, algae blennies, or fairy wrasses, twice a week is fine IME.

Back
Top Bottom