Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFanaticSyd

Aquarium Advice Activist
I checked on my clownfish and my single piece of live rock yesterday afternoon. The clownfish was fine, but the normally purple live rock had some greeny-brown algae on it. It looks almost like freshwater algae. Is this normal and if it isn't, what do I do about it?

The live rock will collect debris and grow algae especially if you don't have a lot of flow. I usually take care of it during normal maintenance with an old tooth brush if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It is on my conch shell too. I think it may be red slime. Should I use chemicals or an invertebrate clean up crew?

If its cyano, it's a flow/nutrient issue. Higher flow, less food, and water changes should reduce it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

More animals aren't ever a solution when you have nutrient issues in the water column.
The same goes for chemicals as it will remove the cyano, only for it to return later as the nutrients are still there.

I am feeding my clownfish a little less. The algae is actually in a dead flor spot in my tank. I am overfiltering it though. Should I turn up my skimmer or use my gamma sterilizer?

You want to try and eliminate dead spots in the tank. That is where things will settle out and cause problems.

So a wavemaker pump is a good idea? And I found a type of invert online that eats red slime. What should I get?

Nothing eats cyanobacteria. There is no need to use creatures to battle issues, just attack the issue as a parameter issue.
Wavemakers aren't worth the money. Just use your powerheads to limit deadspots.

Nice. I do have a limited amount of salt though. Is a gamma sterilizer, wavemaker, or dwarf zebra hermit crab a good idea?

Copy and paste from freshmarine.com---

• Feeding & Nutrition:
    • Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crab is Herbivorous in feeding habit and eats algae, including Red Slime Algae (cyanobacteria) and detritus on the sand or on the rubble thereby cleaning the marine aquarium it inhabits.
    • If the amount of algae is not adequate in your marine aquarium then you can compensate the missing nutrients for the Coenobiata species by adding dry seaweed to the water.
Care: The Coenobiata species is easy to maintain owing to its non-poisonous nature.

Going back to Hank's response about countering nutrient issues with other livestock. Trying to fight the problem with another animal doesn't fix the problem. The crab is going to create waste (or nutrients). I have also found, personally, with crabs that they are incredibly opportunistic and if there isn't enough of what they like, they will eat what you don't want them too. I had Emerald Crabs that did a number on some really nice corals (ended up killing the corals). Also, you are never guaranteed that the critter you put in the tank will eat what you want it too.

Thanks. The two powerheads I have on my tank run my undergravel filter. I don't want to angle them out into the tank because my clownfish is so small he can barely deal with water flow... he is probably 1.25 inches. He will be pushed around in the tank by the water flow. Is there any other way to adjust my water flow without stressing my fish?

If the powerheads are too big for the tank, then of course it'll push the fish around. Try just one, but in my experience I've never run into clowns being too bothered by 'too much' flow. In my 55, I shoved a ton of powerheads into it at one point and they played in the flow all day long.

Flow is good. Previous comment about not fighting nutrient caused issues with livestock is spot on. Cyano can be combated with increased flow and nutrient export by water exchange, ATS and/or even GFO. Overdoing carbon dosing can also set of a cyano bloom as it is a bacteria, not a algae.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom