Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2005, 12:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

algae

My nitrates are at 0, I'm using only ro/di water and I'm using a remora skimmer, but i still am getting quite a bit of green algae. Any ideas why?

Old 01-26-2005, 11:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Everytime you feed your fish you are adding a source of nitrate and phosphate. Even with the most elaborate system there will always be enough nutrients for algae to grow. Nitrates may read 0 but that's because the algae is utilizing it as it is created. Do you have a sufficient clean up crew?

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 04:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

20 gallon tank...about a dozen tiny blue legged hermits and about 6-7 small ruby mythrax crabs (came with the rock). I plan on getting a few snails and maybe some more hermits.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Get a mix of snails, the more types of clean up critters you have, the better. My Hermits do not touch some of the hair algae I had, but the snails ate right through it.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 04:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm not trying to take over this thread but heres one for you. I have no fish in the tank and havnt fed in over a week and a half. I have changed a total of 60 gallons of water in this time using rodi water. I'm getting green hair looking algae,not much but more than i want along with the red algae.
Water is
Am.0
no2 0
no3 0
ph 8.2
po4 0
I know I dont have near enough of a clean up crew right now but why would this be growing under these conditions. The only thhing i can come to is their are a lot of nutrients in the sand bed from not having enough of a clean up crew in the past and it's now staring to show with the lack of fish in the tank. I'm going to get a more pronounced clean up crew tonight to see what this does.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

do you have live rock? How much? How new is it? if it is new was it cured?

Dying material on live rock may attribute to enough waste to attribute to algae. also hitch hikers on the live rock may attribute to it also..
Old 01-27-2005, 07:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just remember everyone, some algae is a GOOD sign of a healthy tank. If you can not even get some algae to grow, how do you think corals would manage

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thumper, since your profile says you have 150g tank, a 60 gallon water change is only a 40% change. There is still plenty of left over nutrients in there. If you keep doing water changes you will eventually hit a point of equilibrium and the bad algea's will start to die off. Improper lighting can also be cause additional problems.

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com