Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ConanTheLibraia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a load of algae on my LR, whats the best way to get rid of it? Is it gonna hurt anything if I just take a toothbrush and start going at it?

Is this new LR? When we got our uncured Fiji (years ago), it had a lot of macro and nuisance algae on it. The best was to remove algae is with a toothbrush - twist & yank. :)

Its been in a tank before, and has good coraline and some growth on it, I come back from vacation and its got a crapload of algae. I guess I can still do a toothbrush?

Yes, you can still use the toothbrush - but I'd try to determine the cause of the algae outbreak while you were gone (overfeeding, etc.).

Conan, do you presently have any herbivores in the tank to help prevent this problem? If not you may consider some, however , to answer your question directly, you can scrub your live rock with a brush to remove the algae. I would suggest that you scrub it in a separate bucket in saltwater from the original tank. This will help prevent any loss of your desirable pink and purple algae. Now getting back to the herbivores. More most be known about the livestock in this aquarium to be able to make the correct recommendations for what algae eaters might work best in this situation. Yet another thing to keep in mind is, if this liverock has absorbed a large amount of phosphates from the what ever water it was in in the past it may be a long drawn out affair getting rid of it. DOH! Either way good luck. 8)

Back
Top Bottom