Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-18-2003, 11:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Butters Send a message via AIM to Butters Send a message via MSN to Butters Send a message via Yahoo to Butters
algae?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Filamentous algae are single algae cells that form long visible chains, threads, or filaments. These filaments intertwine forming a mat that resembles wet wool." found this on another thread.

I have something floating around in my tank and lots of it. its also growing on my glass and rocks. weird thing is its all white. could this be what is mentioned in the quote? Its growing very rapidly and is making my water VERY cloudy. at first i thought it was the new PH's i got blowing stuff around but now its growing everywhere. they look like little fibers almost like dental floss but much thinner.some of it is about 1/2 inch long and others is a small as a pin head. could this be a result of high phospates? ive look everywhere for pics of dif algae on the net and here in search and I didnt find anything. I just want to identify this before i have to completely overhaul my tank for the 3rd time. seems like after a month i start running into problems that i dont know what to do to resolve them.

i posted this is another thread but didnt really get replied to.prolly should have split up the questions more...sorry.

just got home from work and its getting worse looks like someone threw a white towel in a blender. its also in the base of my sump so some of it is getting filtered at least.

Old 08-20-2003, 03:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Butters Send a message via AIM to Butters Send a message via MSN to Butters Send a message via Yahoo to Butters
well whatever it is it clogged one of my ph's and blew the motor. this is becomming a nightmare. getting ready to throw in the towel.also the sand just doesnt want to settle either. sigh

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com