Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2005, 10:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Algae Advice . . .

First, if I have posted this in the wrong area I apologize . . .

I have a well established 30 gallon SW cube tank - fish only. For quite some time, I have been struggling with algae - brown in color. On the average, I end up cleaning the inside glass every two to three weeks. However, I often have to use other tools to almost scrape the algae of portions of the inside glass. I have been very frugal about lighting the tank, and I am not overfeeding. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on how to improve my situation? Are there any chemical treatments (such as Algone) that anyone can reccomend? Maybe my situation is not out of the ordinary. Just looking for some advice. Thanks.

FYI - I will be installing a new Eheim 2213 Filter next week to replace my existing Penguin BioWheel 170 - maybe that will help?

(1) Coral Beauty
(2) Bangai Cardinalfish
mcquillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 10:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
What are you nitrate and PO4 readings? Do you use RO/DI water?
How often and how much do you water change?

Old 10-06-2005, 11:13 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I would also comment that I do not think your situation is uncommon, I have to clean my glass every other day. I would be excstatic with every couple-three weeks.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

My Nitrate readings are fine. However, I do not measure for PO4. I do not use RO/DI water, as I top off with tap water. Maybe that could be part of the issue. I do water changes monthly. Feel free to educate me on the benefits of RO/DI. Thanks.
(1) Coral Beauty
(2) Bangai Cardinalfish
Old 10-06-2005, 11:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I do not use RO/DI water, as I top off with tap water. Maybe that could be part of the issue.
That is most likely the problem. An RO would remove most of the DOC's, from the water column and the DI unit would remove most of the PO4. Something has to be fueling it, since you do not overfeed I would suspect your tap water.
Check the PO4, I will bet that will reveal the problem.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Can I buy RO/DI water at the Grocery Store? - I know I can get from my LFS. If I start doing this, will it eventually start to kill off the algae issues? Thanks for your help - sorry for all of the stupid questions . . .
(1) Coral Beauty
(2) Bangai Cardinalfish
Old 10-06-2005, 01:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not stupid, I would first get the water tested. make sure that is the problem.
LFS as far as I know would be the best resource.
If that is the problem, improving the water quality should most definately help.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:48 PM   #8
cd5
Aquarium Advice Activist

The best thing I ever did for my 20 gallon mini reef was to stop all tapwater and use nothing but RO/DI water
Old 10-06-2005, 08:02 PM   #9

You sure can. Most WalMarts sell RO/DI along with UV treated for around $0.33 / gallon. Tap water is your problem. If the algae is a real problem, I'd drain some SW and put everything in there except for fish, and then replace the entire amount of water with new SW made with either RO/DI or distilled. That will knock your nitrates and phosphate down to around 0. You can also turn up your skimmer so it produces a wet skimmate instead of a dry foam. What kind of food are you feeding? Flake and pellet are loaded with phosphates. If you're using flake, I'd switch to a frozen food and rinse it real well with old SW before feeding. Good luck!

KG
Old 10-07-2005, 11:09 AM   #10
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
I'd drain some SW and put everything in there except for fish, and then replace the entire amount of water with new
Very drastic and I would not recommend it. Once you have a pure water source for the make up SW, get a large batch ready. Do several water changes every other day for a few days instead. Be sure the new water is well aged/aerated before use. It will accomplish the same goal without stressing the inhabitants.

Did you ever get the PO4 test done and what is the tanks average pH reading?

Cheers
Steve

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com