algae and slime???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am new to saltwater and have two questions. First off I have a 55 gal FOWLR tank that has been up and running for 3 months and there is a dark slime coating my substrate (40 lbs crushed coral and 20 lbs live sand) Does anybody know what it is and how can I get rid of it. Second I have to clean the glass daily, sometimes twice because of the algae film. I plan on getting more snails, but is that fast of growth normal? The nitrates and phosphates are 0, so I am really confused on what is causing the algae growth. Thanks for any advise that I can get.

Haus

How old and what kind of lights are using and how long do u run ur lights in the tank.

Having the lighst on can cause algae problems.

HTH

I've got 4 48" flourescent bulbs - 1 actinic, 1 50/50 daylight, 1 5500k, and 1 plant/aquarium light (for freshwater not saltwater, but I thought it may help with the light intensity, with less cost). All the lights are less than 3 months old and they run for about 14 hrs/day

I'd cut the lighting back to 10 hrs. Used to think they need to be on in the AM to feed before I left for work, and of course in the evening viewing & feeding time (again). Sounds like that's what you might be doing too. Now I only light from about 1pm - 11ish and feed once daily.

And of course the requisite and heartfelt "Welcome to AA!!!" is in order.
:smilecolros: :multi: :smilecolros:

Thanks for the advise. I will cut back the lighting. Right now I feed them one mysis shrimp cube or plankton cube once per day. There are only 3 fish in there so would it be alright to feed them one cube of either every other day as opposed to every day? TIA

Haus

I think either that or half cube once a day would be fine. Phosphates and nitrates will get higher if you feed too much. Lot's of folks feed every other day I believe.

I would recommend cutting back the feeding to about once everyother day. One cube is alot of food for your tank inhabitants. HTH

also check that currents are strong, i used to get a lot of cyanos (red/ green slime algae) growing and an extra powerhead made a big difference.

Thanks for all the advice. Cutting back the lighting and food seems to be working already. It has only been two days and the algae growth has slowed immensley. I got a yellow tang, because I read that they eat algae, will he help the situation also???

haus

I`ve been feeding my tank for over 8 years only every other day. Keeps organics in the water in check. You should see a difference

First off how large is the tank... how much lr and most important what type of water are you using. Tap, ro/di?? have you tested for phosphates, silicates, nitrates..
Not sure how much you cut back on the lighting but this is only a temp fix.
If its red slime/cyno bacteria a Tang will not help. Do a search on cyno bacteria, cyno, red slime on the site and you will see tons of info on this.
Water quality, low flow and lighting are things that bring on cyno.
You need to have your water tested to find out whats going on...

Back
Top Bottom