Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-13-2003, 12:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, I looked for the lettuce nudibranch and found that they do not reccomend shipping them to my climate at this time of year.... So I bit the bullet and scrubbed all of my live rock clean last night. Everything looked happy this morning and I am doing a water change (30%) when I get home from work.

This stuff was taking over the tank fast and looked to be having an effect on my frogspawn & Dendronephthya. I found it growing up the stems of these corals and tried to remove it as best I could.... not sure how aggresive I should get with scrubbing a coral so I am sure I did not get it all.

Will keep you all informed as I watch for the dreaded return of bryopsis the killer algae... LOL

maiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 10:41 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, I may have been just in time for the cleanup. The corals are still not fully opening but the fish are much more active. I think the bryopsis was to the point of releasing enough toxins into the water to have a detrimental effect on the inhabitants. I can also see where the algae had started growing at the base of the frogspawn polyps just as shown in the first link provided by reefrunner. I am not sure how aggressive I can be around the polyps but I am keeping the regrowth harvested regularly. Seems as though it is slow in returning and hope that in time will be gone completely.

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-18-2003, 07:31 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus
Thanks for the help.
Your welcome, I am encouraged by the slow regrowth. I think this just a result of a high nutrient phase from a newer tank. Sometimes the effects of the nutrient spike in new tanks is not immediately visible, but I hope the remission continues.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 08:33 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
You can also purchase lettuce nudibranchs at www.saltwaterfish.com.
Not sure if you still were wanting one or not. Might be a good preventative.
michealprater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 02:06 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
The lettuce nudibranch was listed on a couple of different web sites as not recomended for shipping if mean temps are below 40 degrees in your area. On both sites they will not guarantee a live delivery so I am waiting for one of the many Denver LFS that I called to get some in. Or till spring when the temps will make it safe.

algae, attack

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com