Algae Blooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sodertech

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How do you control algae blooms on aquariums with metal halides. I just installed new halides and now the green algae is overtaking my coral. someone help me please.

What are your water parameter? Specifically nitrate and PO4?
You may want to consider an algae eater like a Lawnmower blenny .

I had this problem, and my phosphates were way off the chart (not literally, but they were high).

How long do you leave your lights on a day, too?
What do you use as a water source? Straight from the tap?

Likelyhood for phosphates pretty slim I use ro/di water. trates are good. temp at 77. This is a great deal of algae though

I have cut my light time down to 4 hours daily from 8am to 10pm. Do you all think that a lawn mower blenny will do the trick.

I have a lawnmower blenny and a mean clean-up crew...seems to do fine job. QS has a much bigger tank than I and he only has one, so I think it could definatly make a dent in it. I use ro/di as well. Is the green stuff hard, cuz I had some hard green stuff that turned into purple corraline much to my relief. I wouldn't cut back anymore than what you already are with the lights, from what I hear that does more harm than good. What do you have in your sump? Any macro algae or mangroves?

Back
Top Bottom