algae changing colors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greggsvt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have the dreaded red slime algae in my tank! I put Chemi Clean in my tank to clean it up and now it seems like it is turning green. Is this normal?

Yes, that is a good sign.
Your battle is not yet won however. The cyno can come back. You need to find the source of the problem.

I'm feeding less and only once a day now. Tank lights are on 1 hour less a day. Using tap water filter, letting water sit 24 hours with heater and airstone/ air pump before adding for water changes. Finally broke down and bought PO4 test kit (why are they so expensive?) and the results were 0.25 kind of low for using tap water for the last year. If this doesn't work well then I'll try something else!

you can always try a phosphate sponge if the precautions you have taken dont solve the problem, kent marine makes a good one. you could also look into getting RO/DI water from your local grocery store or LFS, many sell it fresh by the gallon at just pocket change a gallon.

Back
Top Bottom