Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2007, 09:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Algae Cleaner

I have another question. I am looking to take care of some nusiance algae that I have tried scrubbing and getting rid of. I saw something called algae magic at my lfs and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this product or any product related to it? I am trying to find out if anyone has any good experience with these types of products. Thanks

Old 11-16-2007, 12:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You are probably not going to see a lot (if any) support for a chemical fix for algae issues. The best thing to do is start analyzing the root cause and fix it. The majority of problems I have seen come across this board are related to either lack of water changes (Old tank syndrome) or source water problems. (Excess NO3, Silicates, etc) Honestly, the best thing you can do for your tank and your sanity is troubleshoot the problem and correct it.

Peace.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with PC .. Increase your water changes to 10%-20% weekly .Loose the bio wheel they are nitrAte factories ... Place in a new filter cartrige these should be changed at minimum monthly and washed/rinsed weekly . Cut back on your feedings and reduce photo period ... Then also you can run a phosphate sponge to help you along , when preforming your water change you can siphion off the algea . Tho even with weekly changes and maintainence you will still have some algea but it wont be bad , we get it on the glass and on the filter but it really doesnt get a chance to get a foot hold else where in the tank ..
Also in another post you are saying you have a "new" tank , a new tank will have alot of extra nutrients that it cant keep up with right away so that could also be a part of your problem just stick with h20 changes and abreviated light schedul , loose the bio wheel , and change out your sponge , and add a phosphate sponge if you would like but give it time for the biological filter to catch up
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:26 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Biowheels are fine for a FO tank (e.g QT/hospital) but as Sadielynn said the end product of a biowheel is nitrate.

How often and how much are you feeding? You many want to cut back on that too as it is a major cause of nuisance algae. Have you tested your source water for phosphate? Finding and eliminating the cause is the true cure.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Excellent check list

http://www.fantasyreef.com/database/...d=11&item_id=5

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am going to try and follow that checklist, thanks melosu. I think one of my biggest problems is my lighting. I do water changes once a week and feed once a day. My parameters are very good, don't have specifics by me. I have a 150watt metal halide for a twenty nine gallon tank. I think I need to cut my 11 hours of light to about 6 and try and feed every other day and see what happens. Thanks for the help
Old 11-17-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

One thing needed for battling algea is patience. You follow that checklist and you`ll slowly see it go. It`ll look like it`s taking forever but you`ll win the battle slowly but surely.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
This article is good as it has helped me. You'll find other helpful articles there also. If the steps mentioned are taken your problems should subside over time. Good luck.

Tags
algae, clean, cleaner

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com