Algae control...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ive had my 55 gal sw tank running for about 8 weeks now...i have 45 lbs lr fully cured...

2 weeks ago i bought a light cleaner crew, just 2 turbos, 5 astreae, 5 scarlett crabs, and a couple of emerald crabs...

I am finding that the green and light brown algae is growing on the sides of the tank pretty quickly now...about every 4-5 days ive been having to clean...is this a problem i can solve by just adding more to my clean-up crew?? if so, what should i add??

"tanks" alot
Mike

Reduce your light time, PWC's and if you are feeding do it every second day. Your tank is still new so that problem is not unusual.

i think i might add a few inverts to my cleanup crew...its a 55 gal tank so i think it can sustain some more....i also have right now just 2 ocelaris clownfish in there....ill try to reduce the feedings a little bit to see what happens....

a water change once a week is a good idea too....i had only changed once every two weeks up till now.

"Tanks" alot
Mike

mfed said:
i think i might add a few inverts to my cleanup crew...its a 55 gal tank so i think it can sustain some more....i also have right now just 2 ocelaris clownfish in there....ill try to reduce the feedings a little bit to see what happens....

a water change once a week is a good idea too....i had only changed once every two weeks up till now.

I’d look at adding about 10 red/blue leg hermits, they are especially great for riding a new tank of the brown algae that always breaks out in the first couple of months. Just make sure you drip acclimate them for 2+ hours before adding to the tank.

How large are your clowns (in inches) and what, when, & how much are you feeding them?

During the first 6+ months a weekly PWC of 10-%-15% or 6-8 gal for your 55 gal is highly recommended until your tank becomes more stabilized. Once your tank matures and your lr/ls help to keep your no3 down you can usually reduce the PWC to every other week or even monthly depending on your fish load. How is your no3 level doing? If FOWLR I’d try to maintain it below 10 ppm. If you have any corals I’d try to keep it at 0.

is your tank exposed to open sunlight from a window or anything like that? My tank does not build up on the glass that quickly, but my buddy always has his window opened and his builds up alot faster than mine... Just a thought..

both the clowns are small....about 1-1.5 inches a piece....most often i feed them once a day

Back
Top Bottom