Algae crust on DSB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maiceman

Aquarium Advice Activist
As my tank starts to settle in I have gone through a number of algae blooms... brown diatoms, green stringy stuff.... some greenish brown leafy stuff..... I know... I will get some pics but here is my question. The blooms have created a crust on the top of my sand bed, should I remove it... let it stay there... or what? Does this prevent the dsb from doing it's job? Mainly I don't like the way it takes away from the bright white sand bed and it's reflective properties.

hhmmmm... nothing huh? Well I am going to pick up some more asteria snails this weekend and see if they can start making a dent in things. I have 8 right now and will add another 8 on Sunday. The ones I have seem to prefer the live rock for grazing instead of the sand bed.

Mine does that also. I stir the sand a little looks better for a while. I need more critters also. Later

Yesterday, I got a shipment of more cleanup critters. In it, were a couple of horseshoe crabs. I have never been more impressed with the industriousness of anything else I have put in the tank. They are non-stop workers and stir the sandbed like crazy..nice and deep. They act like little bulldozers.

A small warning on horseshoe crabs. Do not try and keep a functioning DSB with these. They will empty it of all detrivores VERY quickly. If you don't have or don't want a DSB then they are fascinating creatures to have in the tank. A throw back to prehistoric times. There are fossils of these guys.

I got a good buy an some algae eating hermit crabs. $1.85 each. I picked up 4 and they are very busy. Will They also hurt the DSB critters?

Back
Top Bottom