Algae/cyanobacteria and cleanup crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

royalturtle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Two questions here - I am still cycling my new 75g, doing it the slow way with mostly dry rock and a little live rock. I have noticed the last few days some growth on the live rock, which I assumed was algae, and it has started spreading quickly. Being new to this, though, I started wondering today if it could be cyanobacteria rather than the algae I know I should expect during the cycle. I have never seen cyanobacteria in person so I don't have a reference point.
I'll try to attach pictures.

My second question - in regards to CUC, do I add an entire crew at once, or small numbers at a time? And do I wait until ammonia is all the way down to 0?
Thanks!

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 85
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 84
The tank will exhibit algae growth and it can also show some cyano growth while nutrients are high. It should resolve itself.

I personally would wait until ammonia is at zero and stays there and other values are in the green zone before adding anything alive. At which point you can add the CUC all at once.

Sounds good, thanks. Definitely don't want to hurt the CUC by adding too early!

I recommend shutting the lights off while cycling. The nutrient levels are high at this point and that plus light is a perfect situation for all sorts of nuisance algae.
You really don't need a clean up crew at all, and chances are in a brand new tank you'll be starving most of them to death.

Back
Top Bottom