Algae grazing fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tkos

Aquarium Advice Addict
My brother just lost his Yellow Tang that had been doing a great job of grazing algae from his tank. Now the algae is growing back. Other than a yellow tang and inverts, is there another colourful fish choice that would be a great algae grazer.

Lawn mower blennies are great algae eaters. Not real colorful but kinda fun to watch. I have also read that Chaetodons ( ButterFlyFish ) sometimes eat algae. You could also try another Surgeonfish like a Achilles Tang, they are a little tougher to keep but beautiful fish.

Having just lost my yellow tang myself I can relate. I guess sometimes it is just not meant to be.

I have a yellow eyed tang(kole Tang) and he just swims around and eats algea all day its pretty cool i highly reccomend them to control algea

Mr.Marine

I would say a lawnmower blenny would be the way to go. Mine will actually eat off the glass on my tank. I have an Achilles tang as well, but their is a draw back. The fish is absolutely beautiful, but if not properly feed he can unintentinally strip coralline algae off LR. He grazes on macroalgae, but some coralline can be lost by the picking. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom