algae help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Djw311

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone. I've been battling a hair algae outbreak for months and I'm at my wits end. I change my water weekly using RO water. I've taken my rocks out and scrubbed them numerous times. My lights are only on for a total of 8 hours per day. I only feed 2-3 times a week. I run chemi-pure elite and a nitrazorb pouch in my filter. My ammonia, trites, and phosphates are all 0 and my nitrates are 5.

I don't know what else I can do. And I'm tired of my tank looking like garbage when I put so much time and money into it. I can't just turn my lights off and kill it without killing my RTBA along with it.

Suggestions?

I have a few snails and hermit crabs, but none of the nails are turbos.

I'll pick up a few but even if they mow it down, that doesn't fix the source of the problem.

I have a few snails and hermit crabs, but none of the nails are turbos.

I'll pick up a few but even if they mow it down, that doesn't fix the source of the problem.

You need to find the source. How hi off the water line do you keep your lights what's your mag level what are you dosing the tank do you have a sump what lights are you using?

Exactly.

I use the Marineland reef capable LEDs that sit right on top of the tank. Getting rid of them and replacing with the LEDs that everyone likes on here. Just need to figure out how to hang them.

No sump and I don't know what my mag levels are. I don't dose with anything except Alpha for reefs. Its a water conditioner like Prime by Seachem.

Try cutting the 10000k to 4 hrs and leave actinic for 8 hrs. But you need to physically remove first by siphoning while brushing. The clean up crew will start mowing the freshly growing hair algae while cutting down light will slow it down. Check RO water for nitrate before mixing.

Most cuc won't touch it if its long so have to remove it by hand by pinching it of the rock and rinse fingers in water and do again till its gone, then your cuc will eat the new grown stuff.

I had the same problem with my tank. I added a phosphate reactor with phosban in it and within a week it was gone. It also helps keep your water perfect to eliminate future algae problems.

Back
Top Bottom