Algae Help....Please Identify

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nole_87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This algae started showing up over the past couple weeks, Im thinking its the early stages of cyano. It started as a bright green algae and has turned to a dark reddish color with air bubbles. LFS tested water and everything seems to be fine.

Attachments

• DSCN0385.jpg
    DSCN0385.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCN0387.jpg
    DSCN0387.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 85
Yep, it's cyanobacteria. Do you have a protein skimmer and do you run carbon? Cyano is caused by excessive nutrients....and that's something the average hobbyist can't test for.

Yea thats what I was afraid of. I do run a skimmer with filter floss, chemi-pure elite, and chaeto in the refugium. I havnt fed my fish in a couple days just in case. But to answer your question, no I don't run carbon. I figured the chemi-pure would be enough. Is there a quick fix. I do weekly water changes with store bought R/O water. It would be impossible to try to scrape it off. Thanks for the quick response

I'm not sure Chemi-Pure is just carbon. But anyway, how often do you change it? A high quality carbon lasts no longer than a month and I think Boyds says Chemi-Pure lasts 4-6 months....so it's not just carbon. Whatever else is in there might be good for that long, but after about a month the carbon is exhausted and can't absorb anymore nutrients.
And I don't know of any quick fixes for anything in a reef. The only things that usually happen fast are usually bad things.
What kind of skimmer do you have that has filter floss in it? I would pull that out.

No quick fix. You have a nutrient problem which there is no quick fix for, its suppose to be prevented.

1) siphon out
2) siphon sand bed and sump of all detritus
3) big water change
4) run GFO
5) continue weekly until gone

Do not reduce feedings. If you have to sacrifice fish nutrition then you are overstocked or under maintained. Keep your fish fed.

Schism said:
No quick fix. You have a nutrient problem which there is no quick fix for, its suppose to be prevented.

1) siphon out
2) siphon sand bed and sump of all detritus
3) big water change
4) run GFO
5) continue weekly until gone

Do not reduce feedings. If you have to sacrifice fish nutrition then you are overstocked or under maintained. Keep your fish fed.

Excellent advice!

OP, how strong is your water flow? Cayno hates strong flow but loves low flow. I'm suspicious of RO water from some stores. Ask them if they have a TDS meter in the store and would test the water you buy. Test your phosphates. Could just as easily be that (and low flow) and not just generic nutrients.

Ok, I'll look into another power head. What do you guys think about chemi-clean. It has some pretty good reviews

I change my carbon out every 2 weeks I run BRS ROX.08 after about 2 weeks bacteria can start to grow in the GAC and if you change it out all at once it can shock the tank, just like taking rock out. GAC has a lot of pores so it can grow a lot of bacteria. If you go a month or more I would only change out half. I also change my GFO every 2 weeks

Back
Top Bottom