Algae Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NicoC16

Aquarium Advice Activist
I seem to be having an issue with hair algae in my tank. I have tested for nitrates and it tested for absolute 0 ppm. I don't have a phosphate kit but I doubt that that is the problem. I have LED lighting, specifically USA Current lighting that are adjustable in terms of light intensity. If I were to reduce my white lights by 20%, would this help solve the issue. Also, why kind of light fuels algae growth, white or actinic? I think that when my actinic lights shut off, the white lights fuel the algae growth because they stay on for an additional 15 minutes. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and what would be the ideal lighting schedule for maximum growth in a reef tank?

Can you post a picture of your outbreak? If large enough, it can actually consume the nitrate and phosphate you are testing for! Leads to a big misconception and masks things going on in the tank at times.

There are some pictures. Sorry for the poor quality. I think it has to do with my lighting, instead of the algae consuming the nitrates. Anyway, how can I fix it?

Attachments

• 20140131_181905.jpg
    20140131_181905.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 20140131_181943.jpg
    20140131_181943.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 112
No sump but yeah I'm using Rodi water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Once a day. Any food not eaten I remove.

Is that seaclone skimmer skimming well? Should be emptying several times a week if you feed daily, which is way to much for one clownfish. You can easily feed twice a week and it be fat and healthy. The HOB filter pad changed monthly? What filter media are you running?

Yes I'm checking for TDS and it is 0ppm. As for the skimmer, it is in my display tank and does not accumulate too much waste. I empty it once a week.

I have only had the tank for two months, and I haven't changed any filter pads because they seem to be so clean.

I am running some carbon in my HOB filter along with the standard sponge filter it came with.

If you are feeding daily, that is basically adding nitrates to your tank. That is what food turns into, even when consumed. If the skimmer isn't skimming well, as most seaclones don't, then the nitrates are left to be removed via weekly water changes. Thankfully, this is easy in small tanks...but even with the 10% weekly changes nitrates can creep up on us. If nitrates were at 20, for example, a 10% water change would only remove 2 and leave our nitrates at 18.
Algae is a complicated battle. There is some reading in my signature about it from our articles section. I'd recommend large water change, see if you can get more skimming out of your skimmer by further adjustment, and changing out your filter media and rinsing out your sponge (you should do this monthly at a minimum).

Once a day is waaay too much for a clown. I do mine 3x a week and they're still big and fat.

Cut back on the feedings, and do a couple of power changes (40% + if possible) a day apart. This will remove the bulk of the nutrients in the water column. However, they will return if you don't modify your feeding schedule.

Back
Top Bottom