Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

I posted with this same problem about 6 months or so ago in my 24g nano before it cracked. It drove me crazy. Same problem - low PH and brown "stuff" on the sand. Didn't act like cyno (wasn't slimy). I ended up reading something about tanks that are covered all the time (which mine was) and poor oxygen exchange, even with additional powerhead.

Could that be your issue? Is your tank covered? I uncovered my tank, did several good size water changed, and increased the size of my Koralia (and direction). The brown stuff on the sand looked more like diatoms. I even went up to 5 days without feeding. It did finally resolve itself. Also, lighting was an issue. It took me a while to realize that since the tank was in a classroom, I needed to take the fluorescent lights into account. Several years ago, they installed special fluor. bulbs to simulate "daylight" for the kids - sounds like prison huh! So, have you thought about oxygen exchange, lighting and water movement too?

These guys are wonderful. They'll help you think it through. I have learned a lot just by reading, reading, reading all their advice and posts. Your readings will be off if it is cyno or algae because it will consume phosphates and nitrates so don't go just by the numbers.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

I'd prolly limit the coral feeding to once every 2 weeks for a while also and see if that helps. That's way too much coral food IMO.

I forgot. Didja say there was other water movment in addition to the main return pump? Trying to figure out if there are dead spots too.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Fishcrack:

Yeah, my tank is uncovered, I have two additional powerheads and have changed my lightbulbs. Hope we can figure this out, very frustrating!
Old 01-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #14

Austinsdad:

When you say I am feeding too much, are you refering to the phytoplankton? Someone else said I shouldn't even use this due to my coral makeup. I am confused now, the local aquarium store said I needed it. Anyone know?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:55 PM   #15

Algae pics

Here are some pics of the algae that plagues me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	algae1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	16829   Click image for larger version

Name:	algae2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	16830  

Old 01-06-2009, 03:52 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

dude, what kind of snails do you have, water has nothing to do with blooms. Ceths are the smallest and best for diatonms from what i've dealt with. If you have growth on your sand that means that you aren't properly maintaining your tank. sift the sand and create a storm effect every week or so, that will get all the crap off of your sand and into your skimmer. Remove and rinse bioballs every month and clean up the stuff that accumilates underneith the biobals. Remember saltwater tanks demad wayyyy more care and caution than freshwater tanks.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #17

more algae...

Seems like I can't shake this algae!!! Since my last post, I replaced my RO/DI filters and added ROWAphos phosphate and silicate adsorber. The adsorber is in a mesh bag under the flow of water. I also changed my water on Friday (~10 gal of my 40 gal tank)

Still, I have continued algae growth. Which looks like this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0160.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	16949   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0156.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	16950  

Old 01-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

to me... and im no expert but the algae on the sand actually looks like diatoms... the stuff on the glass... im fighting the same battle right now... pulling my hair out

-Brad
Old 01-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #19
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

How often are you running your lights? The stuff on the glass can be wiped away with a mag float. I might have missed it but how often are you feeding.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:54 PM   #20

Feeding

I have recently cut back on feeding, now just :

1x weekly phytoplankton
1x weekly cyclop-eeze
2x weekly pemysis

Despite this long standing problem, I haven't had much trouble with coral, fish, inverts. Until recently, my coral banded shrimp and sand sifting goby have died, both had for 1 yr. Am I feeding too little now? Don't see any changes anywhere.....

I run my lights:
Actinic for 8hrs
'white' light for 6.5 hours

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com