Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

You need sand sifters? IE:Orangespot diamond goby (fish) or nassarius snails (snails) or some sand sifting starfish. To me it looks as though you aren't maintaining your tank the way it should be maintained. keep up on your maintenance or your tank will bloom like crazy.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:15 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Tank maintenance

I Understand and practice good tank maintenance. Do you see the previous posts?

Old 01-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiNpHRaMe View Post
You need sand sifters? IE:Orangespot diamond goby (fish) or nassarius snails (snails) or some sand sifting starfish. To me it looks as though you aren't maintaining your tank the way it should be maintained. keep up on your maintenance or your tank will bloom like crazy. You can't be lazy and hope you get a healthy tank. This is salwater not freshwater - you are trying to recreate the ocean in an enclosed enviroment put in the effort bro.
wow dude. if the man didnt care about his tank he wouldent have put so much time into this thread... IMHO at least. not trying to start a fight but to me it seems like hes trying... at least since he started the thread

-Brad
Old 01-11-2009, 08:38 PM   #24

Thank you, well said. But back to the aquarium. Just measured my phosphate levels in my tank and RO/DI water. Noticeable difference, in that the RO water shows ~0.25ppm while my new TDS meter reads 1 ppm. Water reads 0 phosphate level. Anyone have some useful ideas?
Old 01-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well for the glass i removed it all manually. papertowel syphen and some patience.

if infact they are diatoms i believe they should burn out

-Brad

as for the algae coming back im in the same boat as you brother. 3 power heads running to keep the flow up heat lowered to stall growth. and turbos to try and eat up what they can.... nothing... comes back as quick as it goes.

-Brad
Old 01-11-2009, 09:25 PM   #26

do not rely on your lfs for good advice they only want to sell products. reduce your total photo period to 6-8 hrs per day, taking into consideration other sources of light in the room, shield from sunlight. run actinic and purified white at same time. do not use any additives. or "removers" they are a waste of money. test your makeup/ exchange water for po4 & no3 do not use if you get a reading. you can beat these problems, be patient. take an aspirin & relax.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:37 PM   #27

problem with cleanup crew ( turbos etc) is what goes in the front comes out the other end changed very little in nutrients, (po4 & no3 that was contained in the items they ate) although a few work well in a tank, but we expect to much from them, they are not like garbage men who come to our house an cart it all away in a truck.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:39 PM   #28

B-- heat has very little to do with algae growth
Old 01-11-2009, 09:40 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i figured 3 degrees couldent hurt.. it was high anyways..

you should try and put all your posts into 1 single post.. just so we dont get into trouble :P

-Brad

Also to me i dont feel like im asking too much out of the clean up crew... im not expecting them to clear up my problem in a day but rather to cut the cycle up... eat at least the ammount that dies off to reduce the phosphates that would be produced by the plant die off.. in turn killing the algae

-Brad
Old 01-11-2009, 09:54 PM   #30

your tests indicate that you indeed have po4 in your ro water, once you put it into the tank it is assimilated by the alga's & diatoms and gives you a 0 reading of your tank water. po4 bonds to the substrate, to calcium, and other objects in the tank including live rock. kalk drip will bind po4 and your skimmer will remove it. hike your skimmer up a little for a wetter foam, (watch it does not overflow the cup.

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com