algae issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking back at some of the posts (great looking tank, by the way). Mike may have hit it on the head. I think it was on the 2nd page, it looks a lot like cyano is trying to get a foothold.
IME, phosphates are sretty hard to detect when it is present. Can you take a sample of your water to your LFS?
I have no scientific proof of what I am going to say, but I had a lot of algae and cyano issues with a specific salt brand, where other folks don't.
Maybe try a different brand?

I totally agree about detecting phosphates. Even comparing the results to the color chart isn't very accurate. However, when I compare it to my aquarium water which has no detectable phosphates (thanks to my well fed algae) I can notice a difference

I am trying to figure this out with the manufacture of my RO/DI system. In the meantime, I am adding additional tank janitors and a phosphate reactor

One question for everyone. After looking at some posts here I see that some say no bio-balls for reef aquarium. Is this true? I have some and those suckers are hard to clean, would love to get rid of them. Can I just run a wet/dry without them in there?

One question for everyone. After looking at some posts here I see that some say no bio-balls for reef aquarium. Is this true? I have some and those suckers are hard to clean, would love to get rid of them. Can I just run a wet/dry without them in there?

use LR rubble instead and keep the LR totally submerged

I agree using some LR rubble. Make sure it is submerged. When I had my wet dry yrs ago I didnt have bioballs. I used some kind of rolled up filter media that seemed to work better.

Ok, I have included a pic just to make sure I understand, it is of my wet/dry filter. Should I take all the bio-balls out and then place live rock rubble in the area below where the bio-balls used to be?

Attachments

• 100_0166.jpg
    100_0166.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 66
I cant tell where the water line is in the bioball compartment. Can you tell me how far up it is?

Waterline looks to be just above the bottom eggcrate, almost covering the bottom layer of bioballs? You should have plenty of room to fill enough of the sump to submerge rock, but not necessary if you have ample live rock in your main tank. Either way, I would get rid of the drip tray since you plan to remove the bioballs and replace with a filter sock (purchase 2 so they can be switched out weekly) :)

oh, i think i found some online. So, does it fit over drain from my tank??

Some Success....

Well, it seems like I have had some success in reducing the amount of algae growing. I cleaned the heck out of my bio-balls and sump area (which I admit really needed it) and added more tank janitors. The result, the algae is greatly reduced. It does still grow but nowhere near as much as it used to.

I still think my home RO/DI filter is not removing all phosphates, despite changing all the filters. Has anyone else had this problem?

i solved my problem too... have you got any emerald crabs in there... my tank is spotless now withen days of adding them

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom