Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-11-2016, 11:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Algae keeps coming back

So I have a 56gal tank that I was having a Cyano bloom which is now almost 100% under control but I have another problem. I have small patches of green hair algae growing on my rocks. I did a 25% water change on Tuesday and today it is still there and seems to be spreading a bit... any advise?

Old 06-11-2016, 12:32 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Cyano and algae feed off of the same thing, nitrates and phosphates. More water changes with ro/di water will get you in the right direction. This isn't something that gets fixed right away, it takes time to remove them from the water column.
As an example, if your nitrates were at 100, your 25% water change only brought them down to 75, where they will go up until your next water change. This is why you should aim at the large water changes every so many days until the nitrates and phosphates are down to 0.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

thank you so much for that info. it all makes sense. i will continue with the water changes and keep an eye on my levels.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:04 PM   #4
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I agree with hank if you can cut down the nitrates along with phosphates you will see a difference . I had a big out break of green hair in my predator tank , mine was full blown you couldn't see any rock

I did a 50% water change than another the next day , after testing I still had nitrates and phosphate . did another 50% water change

they were now readable with testing . the following day I got the same reading ,
so I did one more 50% water change ,

it took 4 water changes to get things back to normal;

Now for the fun part , I mixed 4 buckets of water and 1 fresh water bucket.
first bucket was saltwater for scrubbing off all the hair from each rock , second was for 1st rinse , now the freshwater bucket mixed with peroxide 30sec dip , now back to bucket 3 another rinse , bucket 4 was to hold all rock till I was done ,

this took me almost 3 hrs , added a bottle of Dr Tim s bacteria just to be safe , haven't seen hair since
Old 06-11-2016, 02:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

wow thanks a lot! def will do that tonight when i get home!
Old 06-11-2016, 02:24 PM   #6
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

be sure you watch your parameters for the next few days and be sure tho use a bottle of bacteria to help bring things back to normal

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com