Algae keeps coming back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jgarced1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have a 56gal tank that I was having a Cyano bloom which is now almost 100% under control but I have another problem. I have small patches of green hair algae growing on my rocks. I did a 25% water change on Tuesday and today it is still there and seems to be spreading a bit... any advise?

Cyano and algae feed off of the same thing, nitrates and phosphates. More water changes with ro/di water will get you in the right direction. This isn't something that gets fixed right away, it takes time to remove them from the water column.
As an example, if your nitrates were at 100, your 25% water change only brought them down to 75, where they will go up until your next water change. This is why you should aim at the large water changes every so many days until the nitrates and phosphates are down to 0.

thank you so much for that info. it all makes sense. i will continue with the water changes and keep an eye on my levels.

I agree with hank if you can cut down the nitrates along with phosphates you will see a difference . I had a big out break of green hair in my predator tank , mine was full blown you couldn't see any rock

I did a 50% water change than another the next day , after testing I still had nitrates and phosphate . did another 50% water change

they were now readable with testing . the following day I got the same reading ,
so I did one more 50% water change ,

it took 4 water changes to get things back to normal;

Now for the fun part , I mixed 4 buckets of water and 1 fresh water bucket.
first bucket was saltwater for scrubbing off all the hair from each rock , second was for 1st rinse , now the freshwater bucket mixed with peroxide 30sec dip , now back to bucket 3 another rinse , bucket 4 was to hold all rock till I was done ,

this took me almost 3 hrs , added a bottle of Dr Tim s bacteria just to be safe , haven't seen hair since

Last edited:
wow thanks a lot! def will do that tonight when i get home!

be sure you watch your parameters for the next few days and be sure tho use a bottle of bacteria to help bring things back to normal

Back
Top Bottom