Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-18-2003, 11:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
Algae-like Film

I have a reddish maroon film growing on my rocks and glass. It gets kind of stringy if it gets rubbed off at all. I have the following algae eaters in my tank...

2 emerald crabs
5 blue leg reef hermits
1 red leg reef hermit (not scarlet)
1 bumblebee snail
1 arrow crab

I've heard that this is called "red slime algae." What will take it out? These guys aren't keeping it under control. Also, how many will I need to keep it at bay in a 42 gallon hex tank?

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 11:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

BUMP!

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Old 08-19-2003, 12:10 PM   #3
steve-s

You most likely have a cyano bloom. If using RO water and light feedings, it will burn itself out eventually. You can also reduce the amount of "white" light the tank gets and if possible just use 03 lighting for a time. DO you have stoney corals/anemones or just softies, can't remember?

It will also help if you take a small airline tube and carefully syphon out as much as possible. That will help control it much faster. Increased water flow in that general area after a majaority is removed will also help. Try not to break it up or disturb it otherwise, that will just help it spread around the tank.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-19-2003, 02:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have an anemone and some soft polyps (very few).

I'll try siphoning it, but is there anything that eats this stuff?

Oh, and I do use RO water. This stuff has been growing for quite a while now, though. Two or three weeks, I would guess.

Old 08-19-2003, 06:06 PM   #5
steve-s

2-3 weeks? Any fish yet and are you feeding the tank?

Do not reduce the lighting with the anemone in the tank, it will not do well. The only thing I have ever seen eat cyano is turbo snails, might buy one and see if it works and then possibley get a few more.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-19-2003, 07:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Are you 100% sure this is cyano and not that red slime algae hear about? I can post another picture if you want. I just want to make sure before I try something.

I need me some snails anyway, so I'll go get a couple turbos asap regardless.

Thanks a bunch Steve!

Old 08-19-2003, 07:12 PM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauge
Are you 100% sure this is cyano and not that red slime algae hear about?
They are one and the same

Quote:
I can post another picture if you want. I just want to make sure before I try something.
That would help!!

Cheers
Steve

Tags
algae, film

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com