Algae-like Film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gauge

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a reddish maroon film growing on my rocks and glass. It gets kind of stringy if it gets rubbed off at all. I have the following algae eaters in my tank...

2 emerald crabs
5 blue leg reef hermits
1 red leg reef hermit (not scarlet)
1 bumblebee snail
1 arrow crab

I've heard that this is called "red slime algae." What will take it out? These guys aren't keeping it under control. Also, how many will I need to keep it at bay in a 42 gallon hex tank?

You most likely have a cyano bloom. If using RO water and light feedings, it will burn itself out eventually. You can also reduce the amount of "white" light the tank gets and if possible just use 03 lighting for a time. DO you have stoney corals/anemones or just softies, can't remember?

It will also help if you take a small airline tube and carefully syphon out as much as possible. That will help control it much faster. Increased water flow in that general area after a majaority is removed will also help. Try not to break it up or disturb it otherwise, that will just help it spread around the tank.

Cheers
Steve

I have an anemone and some soft polyps (very few).

I'll try siphoning it, but is there anything that eats this stuff?

Oh, and I do use RO water. This stuff has been growing for quite a while now, though. Two or three weeks, I would guess.

2-3 weeks? Any fish yet and are you feeding the tank?

Do not reduce the lighting with the anemone in the tank, it will not do well. The only thing I have ever seen eat cyano is turbo snails, might buy one and see if it works and then possibley get a few more.

Cheers
Steve

Are you 100% sure this is cyano and not that red slime algae hear about? I can post another picture if you want. I just want to make sure before I try something.

I need me some snails anyway, so I'll go get a couple turbos asap regardless.

Thanks a bunch Steve! :D

Gauge said:
Are you 100% sure this is cyano and not that red slime algae hear about?
They are one and the same :wink:

I can post another picture if you want. I just want to make sure before I try something.
That would help!!

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom