Algae on glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys
I notice that on the back wall of my tank, when I don't clean it, red algae will start to form. It looks just like normal green algae does, except red. It's not coralline because it scrapes off easily. Could it be cyano or just normal algae build up? There's nothing on the sand or rocks like that either. Thanks!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391468166.800834.jpg

How can I prevent it? It's kind of odd that it isn't a problem anywhere else, maybe there's not enough flow on the glass lol

phosphate was not quite 0, and nitrate was 5-10. The only difference lately is that I haven't run chemi pure elite like I used to, I stopped an started getting coralline and nice color to my live rock so I didn't want to go back to using if. Now, I'm thinking I should and maybe it was keeping the algae away.

lol yea maybe start using it again... or do a few wc TO DROP DOWN THE PHOS/NIRTrates..... more than likely the excess phos/nit is the problem with the cyano.... as you may know the cyano generally grow with nit/phos so if you remove that then the cyano should stop growing. your probably right about the low flow on the back wall causing this outbreak only there and no where else.

I ordered up some chemi pure again, hopefully it won't slow all the good growth on my live rock. I'll aim the powerhead towards the back a little more too.

Thanks!

I installed the chemi pure elite today. And wiped off most of the back glass. Now it's just a waiting game to see if it comes back. It sure clouded the water when I wiped the algae off though

Planning a water change for this weekend

Back
Top Bottom