Algae on glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pipermurphy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have gone through the search to try to find the answer, but sometimes there is too much to sift through. I have also looked through my SW books before bothering with this question.
So here goes,
I have upgraded my lighting in my 75 gal SW tank to 175W MH lights. The tank had been doing great, now there has had a big, huge increase in brown/green algae on the glass. It is spots, not hair-like.
My tank has 2 true perc clowns, scotter blenny, cleaner shrimp, 4 peppermints, bunch of turbos & hermits. with 100 lbs of LR and a 4" DSB.

The MH lights are on for 11 hrs, with the actinics 1 hr before and after. All the readings are normal; ph, alk, amn, nitrate&nitrite, calcium.

Is this normal due to the increase in light, or do I need to address something else with the tank. How can I clear this up, I am cleaning the glass everyday now, rather then twice a week before the light change.

Yes this is normal due to the increase in light. In time your tank will equalize to the higher light. You may need to increase the numbers of snails, but it should be fine. You might also consider lowering the photoperiod a smidge. I run my MH about 10-10.5 hrs per day.

Back
Top Bottom