Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-13-2003, 07:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Algae on glass

I have gone through the search to try to find the answer, but sometimes there is too much to sift through. I have also looked through my SW books before bothering with this question.
So here goes,
I have upgraded my lighting in my 75 gal SW tank to 175W MH lights. The tank had been doing great, now there has had a big, huge increase in brown/green algae on the glass. It is spots, not hair-like.
My tank has 2 true perc clowns, scotter blenny, cleaner shrimp, 4 peppermints, bunch of turbos & hermits. with 100 lbs of LR and a 4" DSB.

The MH lights are on for 11 hrs, with the actinics 1 hr before and after. All the readings are normal; ph, alk, amn, nitrate&nitrite, calcium.

Is this normal due to the increase in light, or do I need to address something else with the tank. How can I clear this up, I am cleaning the glass everyday now, rather then twice a week before the light change.

pipermurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 09:54 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Yes this is normal due to the increase in light. In time your tank will equalize to the higher light. You may need to increase the numbers of snails, but it should be fine. You might also consider lowering the photoperiod a smidge. I run my MH about 10-10.5 hrs per day.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

algae, glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com