Algae on protein skimmer ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gstewart

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi just a quick question to see if algae build up on the water flow spout on a protein skimmer is normal ??

everything is fine with my aquarium and my algae is coming under control thanks to phosphate sponge and regular RO changes however noticed the protein skimmer flow spout was covered in a bright green algae like a stalactite formation as the water flows back into the aquarium - nothing major but thought it was odd thats all.

thanks

Gary

Is the protein skimmer lit by a light? (i.e. HOB skimmer under your tank lights). This may be why you are getting algae growth in it. It isn't a big deal. Just make sure you clean the skimmer regularly and all will be well.

FYI, I get all kinds of gunk growing in my skimmer. Although it is typically not green since there isn't a light in my sump.

thanks for that just being inquisitive !

Yeah the skimmer spout where the water flows back in is very near the actinic lamp so that would explain high algae build up.. like i said i am just getting over a bloom so only to be expected !

Cheers Gary

yeah I have my skimmer in my refugium and it gets algae growth because I ahve 27/7 lighting for the macros.. just scrub it like once a week or so

Back
Top Bottom