Algae on sand. Corraline?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrbill

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

My tank's been up and running for about three months now. I have gone through the brown algae stage, it's pretty much gone. Now, I have some green hairlike algae on some areas of the LR which I don't mind at all, it actually looks cool. I've got some macro in there, and I am starting to get good corraline growth on the LR as well. :)

However, I am also starting to get what looks like corraline growth on some areas of the sand. I haven't heard of this happening before. It's almost like it's crawling off the rock onto the sand, weird. It's kind of like a blanket of reddish purple or bluish black algae with airbubbles trapped under it. Is this normal? Yes, I am using tap water. Anything else I should think about, besides an RO unit? That is a LAST resort for me.

It might be cyno bacteria.. you will have to wait till some of the experts chime in.

Doan

Forgot to mention:

I am running Phosguard. I have loads of snails, some shrimp, a small hermit and a brittle star, but nobody seems to want to touch this stuff.

Yep...I'd say the same thing. I would guess you have some phosphates in there. If its cyno, it is a thin slime, right? Nothing is going to eat it, so its pretty much just a matter of water changes and phosphate sponges.

Oh...the "cool" hair algae will eventually take over the tank if its not brought under control. Its usually due to excessive Nitrates. Might want to check for those as well.
Squishy :wink:

Thanks, last I checked Nitrates were zero, but I'll check for everything tonight.

I'm using Old Castle (silicate free) playsand. About 4" deep.

After doing some research, I think it is definitely Cyano. Is there anything besides RO water that will help? On that note...

Anyone recommend a good RO unit? I really don't want to get one, but I think I might have to since I don't have anywhere nearby to purchase RO water. When an RO unit is installed (under a bathroom sink for example), how does it drain? Also, where do you guys collect the water? One reason I don't want to get one is my wife isn't going to like having a 25 gallon trash can full of water in the guest bathroom. 8O

why not attatch it to the plumbing in the laundry room? And dont forget, you can always route the hose from the R/O unit into a closet or something. It doesnt have to be visible.

Squishy

Good idea, but the laundry room is in the basement, the tank is not. I don't really want to lug water up and down the stairs. Also, there is no sink, just incoming water supply to the washer. Doesn't the RO unit need to drain somehow?

Yep...but think about it.... Where does the water go that your washing machine fills up with? There has to be a drain. And as far as it being downstairs and the tank up stairs..I would go to home depot and get a water pump for 100.00 or so. Attatch a garden hose to it. Drop the pump in the trash can full of water with the hose attatched. Keep the hose coiled beside the can. Anytime you need water just pull the hose over to the tank. Thats what I plan on doing. My tank and laundry room are on opposite sides of the house.

The other option would be to run the hose up the basement wall, across the basement ceiling, into the wall that the tank is on. Then just punch through the sheet rock and run the hose right into your sump.

Squishy

I took my readings and all seems fine, except my salinity is way low, I will raise it slowly over the next few days. Maybe it's not the tap water after all?

Salinity 1.019 (Usually 1.022)
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
PH 8.2 - 8.4
Phosphate 0 - 0.05
Temp 80

Back
Top Bottom