Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2004, 07:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Algae Ooutbreak!!! PLEASE HELP

I have a 180 gallon reef system that has been running for over 2 years with no problem. Within the last few weeks there has been an outbreak of algae, Brown, Green Hair and a green slime. It is slowly taking over the tank and I have lost a few Mushrooms so far. All the fish are ok but I dont want this stuff to bring my tank down. Here are the reading for my tank
PH: 8.4
KH: 10
Salinity: 1.023
ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrates: 60(I know this is high and I have done water changes to help bring it down.

I dose Kalkwasser and use reef builder to level out the calcium and KH. I also run and Eco System filter and have 5 power heads in the tank for flow. PLEASE HELP!!!!! I need some ideas on how to get rid of it and prevent anything else from dieing

Old 01-14-2004, 09:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How long do you keep your lights on? Have you upgraded your lighting at all? How much are you feeding your fish? Algae needs three things to grow: light, food, and water.....since every tank has water (duh) that leaves light and food. Over feeding can cause an outbreak as well as too much lighting for too long a period of time.HTH

Old 01-14-2004, 10:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

As far as lighting goes, my Atinics are on for 12 hours and my white lights are on for 10. The atinics come on one hour before the white and stay on one hour longer than the white. The lights have been on timers and on this cycle since I started the tank 2 years ago. I usually feed them in the moring and then at night but since the outbreak I have only been feeding them once in the morning...Thanks for the help
Old 01-14-2004, 11:50 PM   #4
steve-s

What is your water source and have you tested the PO4 level?

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-15-2004, 09:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I use RO water. I have a unit in my basement. IT has been about 6month since i changed the media in....I took my water to a local saltwater store and the phosphates were very low
Old 01-16-2004, 12:50 AM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuls15
the phosphates were very low
How low

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-18-2004, 02:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I took a water sample to my Local Fish Store and they tested for phosphates and they never gave me a number but they told me it was barely showing up on their test
Old 01-18-2004, 05:52 PM   #8
steve-s

Unfortunately any reading of inorganic PO4 means elevated levels in organic PO4 which can cause a nasty cycle allowing a constant food source for unwanted algaes and other issues.

Phosphorus: Algae’s Best Friend ... by Randey Holmes-Farley

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-28-2004, 10:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have started to use PHOS-BAN to help reduce phosphates and I have also started to use a Protein Skimmer, and I started using Kalk about 2 weeks ago....DO you have any idea how long it can take for these extras i have added to help get rid of this hair algae?????
Old 01-28-2004, 10:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It could take a little while, just be patient and it will all work out

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com