Algae out of Control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhostKnife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
18608-albums490-picture3638.jpg

I think this is hair algae. The only thing is is that I started this tank 3 weeks ago. I am wondering what I can do to get rid of this. I have a few snails and hermits in the tank. Here is another shot of it and I think it may be spreading a little to other rocks.
18608-albums490-picture3639.jpg

Okay thaks mel. I am thinking... I manually removed some tonight. I am going to blackout the tank for a week. Thats pretty much it you think that sounds good?

Will this hurt the coraline growth at all or does that grow via calcium? I have not put any additives in the tank whatsoever. I have done 1 water change in the three weeks after my cycle and my nitrates were high.

A week might do a little damage to your coralline but I would not worry to much about that now. Cut the light and the nutrients and that should be a big help in gettling rid of the hair algae.

I agree, find tha source. Cutting the light may only stunt it for a little it. You probably have some excess nutrience in there.
I LOVE the scaping!!!!

Yea that stuff grew out of control quickly. What do you think nitrates phosphates what... I am on phone. Ill do full water test tonight when I get home.

Thanks for your help mike. I have had my filter sock in for too long my calcium is a little low and my alk is too. Calc 360. Alk 8. So I got som phosphate remover and will soon be adding pheric oxide. I'll post more when I get to the computer.

Back
Top Bottom