Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Algae outbreak

So I went away for a couple weeks and left a friend in charge of my reef tank. Simple directions for feeding and such and I did a water change right before I left. I returned to find an outbreak of bubble algae in numerous spots. As well as apstasia and a light green vine looking algae. What is the best way to get rid of all three? Water parameters are perfect by the way.

DaveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
if you have algae growing you have nitrates and/or phosphates.

bavass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I tested water again tonight and the readings came out like this.
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0-5 closer to 0
Ph 8.2
Phoshates .20
Salinity 1.025
Calcium 460
Dkh 8
Temp 81.2
Light cycle is 8 hrs atinics and 6 hrs halides

So what do you think?
DaveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, first off any phosphate is a bad phosphate. Try lowering it to where it can't be read. Use either distilled water or water treated through Reverse Osmosis if you are not. Secondly you probably aren't reading any nitrates because the Caulerpa, or the seaweed that looks like a grapevine, does a great job at filtering ammonia nitrite and nitrate from your water. Some people use that instead of cheato. Anyway, easy way to take care of it is yanking it out. Leave none of it behind.
Aptasia is not an algae, rather it is a nuissance anemone that can quickly multiply. Cut them off with a razorblade making sure to not leave any part behind as that one part can grow into one or multiple aptasia. They can sting livestock and will compete for food so they should be eradicated.
Lastly....bubble algae....ugh....I hate bubble algae. The problem with bubble algae is that it can survive with hardly any nutrients. I do 38% water changes weekly and have low bioload and feed once every two to three days and I still have some. Use a razor blade at the base of the bubble, making sure not to pop it, to take it out. I will tell you, it's easier said than done. I almost got rid of mine and I accidentally popped two. A week later and more were popping up. It's a battle. Good luck.
Sergie is offline   Reply With Quote

algae, outbreak

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com