Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2007, 11:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Algae Phenomenon explosive problems HELP

Well, my little nanoreef has gone through basically hell, for the last 2 years with algae, from nice times, where my tank has been quiet, then explosive algae blooms have crapped up all my nice coral. Well, after losing the battle trying everything possible, i got new live rock for my tnak, and that seemed to work great for about 6 months, then my light blew up, and i got a new ballast, and a new light(same wattage) well brown algae has taken over once again, covering up everything, except for my flourescent leather, well, i think its dinoflagellates, its definitely not cyano, brown carpeting "crap" algae, i brush off with a toothbrush every day, and it grows back every day, ive gotten, chemipure, because the idiots at my lfs said it would work great. and he threw in a 10$ phosphate pad for free, which he said would work great, so i use both of those, and they havent done a **** thing, ive done everything, i think if my luck wasnt bad, i could probably write a book on how to get rid of algae, because my techniques work on everyone but me, ive lessened the light time, waited, to see if it would pass(yea i didnt have time for a while to scrub it off the rocks), what else, i only use RO/DI water that i get from my LFS, water changes, new lights, hell, on the 6 gallon, i have an aquaclear 30 running on it, (biggest size i can fit), what else..... ive added some of that beneficial algae to my tank like chaeto, macroalgae stuffs, and ive left the lights off for a weekend straight, ive done it all, i dont think the solution is buying new live rock every 6 months, but it probably has to do with the fact i have a bunch of coral and a fish, and shrimp in that 6 gallon, and the decaying material probably builds up and everything, but i thought putting a bad *** filter on it would do the trick, henceforth a filter made for a 30 gallon tank, but in the filter, anyone suggest anything better than the biological media, that they put in the packages? im thinking that might have something to do with it too, but i dunno see if you experts have any suggestions, because ive tried it all. Believe me, so anything, to this devil algae problem, and yea i ramble alot, but oh well, any help will do

Old 01-28-2007, 11:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Feed every 3 days, do 25% pwcs WEEKLY until algae is gone. You need to ditch those HOB filters unless you are running carbon.

-Also when you do all this scrubbing all you are doing is spreading it EVERYWHERE and since you have no fixed what causes the algae you just get a huge explosion of algae, get what I'm saying?

-We need you to tell us what kind of livestock you have, what size tank, powerheads? what type? what are your water params? nitrate? phosphate?

3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:51 PM   #3

Ok dude, i feed my fish every 3 days ish, because yea i forget to feed every now and then, and no i dont overfeed, and i do a 1 gallon water change weekly, and my filter does have carbon, its an aquaclear 30, those are made for like 20 gallon tanks, and i have a powerhead on it, i dont know how much it circulates, but enough so the tank isnt a giant wirlpool, and the tank is 6 gallons, with like an inch and a half substrate, my nitrates arent too high, but im sure the phosphates are high, or something, i dunno, the livestock is, percula clown, clown goby, and a cleaner shrimp, coral, i have a rock with some GSP, 2 frags of flourescent leather, a nice rock with ric. mushrooms, and some zoos, and other various things mostly polyps and such, nothing over stocked, but it looks nice when there isnt algae.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot15638
Ok dude, i feed my fish every 3 days ish, because yea i forget to feed every now and then, and no i dont overfeed,
Not the same. Your forgetting is just insight to your tank husbandry. As suggested cut your feeding even further. If its every three days now, move to either every 4 days or cut *way* back on what you are dumping in each feeding. Most algea issues are self induced...you guessed it, over-feeding. I feed a stocked 75G twice a week with flakes on wed and 3/4 cube of either form I or II on Sun., thats it. All fish are *very* colorful and healthy.
Quote:
and i do a 1 gallon water change weekly
Ok technically *not* the 25% suggested. 1.5g would be 25%. I would move to 2 gallons min per wc. Check your source RO/DI water for po4 and nitrates. Some LFS are not quick to replace filters or membranes as they should. This is in turn means your starting out with less that pristine water and in a 6G nano thats bad bad bad. Also, are you topping off with the same RO/DI water or using some other water source for top off? Only ro/di for making fresh salt water and top off. One last thing..Switch salt brands lately?
Quote:
and my filter does have carbon, its an aquaclear 30, those are made for like 20 gallon tanks, and i have a powerhead on it, i dont know how much it circulates, but enough so the tank isnt a giant wirlpool, and the tank is 6 gallons, with like an inch and a half substrate,
Do you have enough LR? If so I would dump the filter all together. Most folks tend to not keep up with replacing the filter every week which is crucial to the filter not becoming part of the problem. Dirty pads lead to nitrate factories. Let your LR do its job. Do you have a skimmer on it? Time for one if not. 1.5 in of substrate does nothing for the tank, just for looks. A DSB would be 3 or 4 inches min. You need plenty of LR to house plenty of the bacteria that help keep the 'cycle' going. Running carbon is great...if you need to run it.
Quote:
my nitrates arent too high, but im sure the phosphates are high, or something, i dunno, the livestock is, percula clown, clown goby, and a cleaner shrimp, coral, i have a rock with some GSP, 2 frags of flourescent leather, a nice rock with ric. mushrooms, and some zoos, and other various things mostly polyps and such, nothing over stocked, but it looks nice when there isnt algae.
You know you have a nitrate problem and have no measure of po4, ammonia, etc? Back to the basics..You need to have your water tested. Anything in the way of po4 thats over .02 ppm can cause algea issues. Nitrates in that small of a tank will also be a problem. Not being too high is not a great indication. Lets say they need to be about 5ppm or less...Really more like 2ppm or 0 preferably. As for stock, I'd say a clown and goby are a bit much for a 6G tank. I would think a 10g would be the smallest tank to house a clown in. Ditto for the clown goby. I would pick one or the other to take back to the LFS. Lots of questions to ask to get a more accurate picture of how this has progressed but from what you have given here, this is my advice.

Peace.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:51 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I have another suggestion. Many people have experienced a diatom bloom when they replaced their lights.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:41 AM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Two things I would consider is one doing more frequent PWC`s. I would do 2 or 3 a week. I know the norm is weekly but drastic measures call for drastic actions. I would do a 2 gallon PWC every time you do one till you have this under control. Also as mentioned earlier I would check out your source water. Preform water checks on it to make sure you are not adding to the problem. Here are some links to check out to see if you are missing anything.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...q=2&fldAuto=14

http://www.fantasyreef.com/showthread.php?t=478

http://www.fantasyreef.com/showthread.php?t=1843

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

see scoot- great place to get help!
Old 01-29-2007, 02:19 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I agree with PC!! Great advice!
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

This problem is a huge PITA, but it can be over-come. First things first...get a PO4 test kit and see what your levels are at. Test your tank water and your source water. Using RO/DI water does not guarantee it is free of PO4, especially if it comes from the LFS. Also, can you discribe the type of food you feed the tank and the technique used when feeding?
Old 01-29-2007, 07:34 PM   #10

well, i feed my fish by taking a small pinch of food, putting it over the water, dropping the food, then observing as my fish eats it, i go from brine shrimp to flake food, but i use the drop the food in the water technique for both of em, its pretty complicated i guess, but i tested the PO4, its never usually high, i mean i tested and saw amounts, but nothing dangerous, the levels were all low, yea, i am a sarcastic person, but i got some help from someone in the PM box, im gonna try his advice

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com