algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joel488

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my new biocube 29 has been up for a week now and recently i have a lime green slime algae on my glass sand and a little on my rock any advice on what to do

how much you feeding your fish?
how long you keep your lighting up?
Nitrate/Phosphate level?

I feed them once every other day the lights are on 7 to 7 and its at 44ppm it comes off easy just comes back the next day by the time I get home

how much you feeding your fish?
how long you keep your lighting up?
Nitrate/Phosphate level?

It's been up for a week and going through a cycle. You really shouldn't have any fish in there yet. Please search the forum for a guide on cycling.
As for the algae, that's part of the process and completely normal.
Did you use tap water to mix your salt in?

I used ro water and I got one yellow tailed damsel to try and speed up the cycle process

RO water doesn't help with cycle tank, "cycle tank" require bacteria to build up in your tank mostly on LR and sand bed. It is not surprise that you have algae problem with new tank, especially when you got fish in there. It already has high amount of nitrate in the tank and adding extra fish waste and left over won't help also. I would suggest you keep an eye on the water parameter for now, once your tank is cycled, you can start try to find solution to get rid of the algae. As for the fish, I would suggest you return it for store credit. I don't support use live fish to cycle tank and it is adding problem to your algae issue right now.

There is no short cut to cycle a tank and the beauty of the this hobby is "patience" . I have to say this again, stare at a empty tank is boring, but few months down the road, you will be very thankful you took the time to wait. Cuz a tank that didn't fully go thru cycle can end up an unbalance environment and you will fighting with nitrate spike and algae issue night and day.

Back
Top Bottom