Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

algae problem.

Ive been having an issue with some algae. It looks like a brown stringy slim. I have inverts in my tank but only two snails are cleaning it idk why, I have more and they move they just arnt doing much. I beleve my problem started with my six line dying. Idk what caused his death tho. Maybe he tried to eat a bristle worm that was to big or maybe my other fish did it. Anyways I think that was the start. Then I was talking to this guy about a clean up crew and he told me I need a crazy amount of nass snails. So I order then 385 to be exact it was a ebay deak for 26 bucks. Put them in there within a couple days my take has greatly increased in the slime. It looks horrible. And I want it gone. I gave a bunch of snails away im prolly around 125 nass snails now. They dont do anything for my sand in which thats what I heard they are for. My astera and turbos do ok, and I have some crabs that move around. Would spaying the algae off help any? Or atleast help my snails to keep it under control? Thanks

Old 06-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardclaxton View Post
Ive been having an issue with some algae. It looks like a brown stringy slim. I have inverts in my tank but only two snails are cleaning it idk why, I have more and they move they just arnt doing much. I beleve my problem started with my six line dying. Idk what caused his death tho. Maybe he tried to eat a bristle worm that was to big or maybe my other fish did it. Anyways I think that was the start. Then I was talking to this guy about a clean up crew and he told me I need a crazy amount of nass snails. So I order then 385 to be exact it was a ebay deak for 26 bucks. Put them in there within a couple days my take has greatly increased in the slime. It looks horrible. And I want it gone. I gave a bunch of snails away im prolly around 125 nass snails now. They dont do anything for my sand in which thats what I heard they are for. My astera and turbos do ok, and I have some crabs that move around. Would spaying the algae off help any? Or atleast help my snails to keep it under control? Thanks
Tangs will solve your prob

Old 06-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a 125 I would like to have a kole and salfin what do you think
Old 06-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I had a huge hair algae outbreak on my 34 gallon tank...basically I went out and bought a hang-on refugium with a 6 pack variety of macro algae and close to 3 dozen blue leg hermit crabs and an algae blenny turned my lights off for 3 days and it was nearly gone and that was 3 months ago.as of right now there is no algae at all.and the hermit crabs as well as the same snails you have which are black only come out the eat the left over food the fish don't eat..between the crabs picking at the rocks all day and the snails mixing up the sand my tank has never looks so good
Old 06-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Its no so much hair algae its more of a slime. Also, idk if this is true and would like to know the answer. Will crabs kill the snails for there shells? With my tank idk if turning the lights out for days would be a good thing because I do have coral in it.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ian's far as the hermit crabs there so much smaller than the snails so that isn't a problem.i have an SPS dominant tank that is more effected by the lights and I didn't have a problem.if its red slime ..how high are your phosphates?how offer do you do water changes?do you use RO/DI water?
Old 06-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ill have to check my phosphates right quick I do 10% every week. I also have a rodi that I use for anything that I do with my tank. I also just hooked up a gfo and carbon reactor.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Red slime is cyano algae and none of the things your doing will take care of it. There are chemicals you can add to get rid of it but also during water changes siphon out the slime.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_ellis View Post
Red slime is cyano algae and none of the things your doing will take care of it. There are chemicals you can add to get rid of it but also during water changes siphon out the slime.
Cyano is bacteria not algae
Old 06-05-2013, 10:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Excuse me... Lol I consider it algae as it looks like it but what your describing sounds like cyano.

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com