Algae problem :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bear85

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had my 90 gallon up and running for close to a year now and things have been going awesome! All of a sudden I am starting to notice algae growing.
Nitrates- o
Phosphates-0
Calcium 460
I have led ... Run my whites for about 8 hrs a day at 35%, feed my fish every 3 days and do 20% water changes every 10 days.
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated ! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392670459.028724.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392670481.595656.jpg

2ppm in the RODI is not so bad.

Algae management is done by nutrients control. You're probably using cheap API test or another cheap branded NO3/PO4 tests. My API test always show both 0 for NO3 and PO4 for SW. Maybe you want to invest in a better tests kits like Red Sea.

Anyways, the treatement is the same for any readings you'll get, nutrients control. I will say try to see if you have dead spots (no waterflow) in your tank and remove the gunk that accumulated at thoses places. Check your sump and remove debris, clean filters pads (or bags), clean everything. Once this is done, this will release bad nitrates and phosphates in the water, so make a bigger water change after you done this. IMO you can rebuild your reefscape, it will release a lot of nutrients in the water too. You can stirr the sand a bit to remove gunk of it...

The algae you're getting look like hair algae, it's because of high lights + nitrogen (and phosphates). If you have ammonia/nitrites in the tank because of a mini-cycle, it feed more this algae than nitrates.

What's your waterchanging schedule ? You can help with toothbrush cleaning affected areas.

Maybe do a bigger water change next time. Instead doing 7%WC each week, I do 20% on 3 weeks.

So instead doing 11% each 10 days, maybe next time do 22% or 20 gallons. I know it's bad for parameters flukes, but 22%WC means remove 22% of what you don't want in the tank instead removing 11%. Or maybe do 11% each 5 days..

Here's a basic article on how to keep nutrients on check
Note that in this article they talk about "Low range tests kits" it means not API test kit. Go for Red Sea for good results or other good branded kits.

Do you run a over rated protein skimmer ? You could try vodka dosing...

I think I will increase water changes and decrease lights until the problem comes around ... Have been reading up on vodka dosing so that could be something to try soon ... Thanks for the advice I appreciate the help! Plus need to get some good test kits

In my case I have API tests for both my SW and FW, but If I had algae issues, I would go buy better tests like you'll do.

I would get better test kits to get more precise readings. The API kits don't have very good low range value.

WRT the PWC...you're not even doing 10% every 10 days (taking into account displacement from rock/sand, etc). Assuming that you have 90 gallons in the system (maybe including sump/fuge), you need to change out 18 gallons to get to 20%, not 10 gallons.

Make it easy and do 20 gallons at a time.

Back
Top Bottom