Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-01-2005, 02:56 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 1,744
Cool, thanks Steve. I dont feed all the different foods at once, just a bit of 2 at a time, then the other 2 the following day.

So, to verify:

Get a DI attachment for my RO unit.

Get some snails (35g tank - how many, what sizes, what type(s), and will they interfere with my hermit crabs or shrimp or vice-versa? I guess they don't add to the bioload and can be put straight in the tank from the LFS after a drip acclimation?)

Ideally, what type of snails, how many, and what size should I get out of the following, bearing in mind the majority of the algae problem is the sand, with the glass not being too bad (can clean it easily enough myself) and the powerheads/rock/fake plants fairly bad:-

Bumblebee
Turbo
Nerite
Trochus
Turbo
Margarita
Cerith
Nassarius

Also, when I add the snails, will they use up the calcium in my tank more than the inhabitants are at the mo (fireshrimp, 4 fish, 10 small hermits)? My calcium is a little on the low side (approx 380) but I think is balanced against my dKH which is about 10.

GPH may be a small part of the issue but not that significant.

I'm quite out of action ATM following a hospital op, so bi-monthly waterchanges are really all I can push to ATM.

If I do the above (add the DI and snails, clean the filter and change the rowaphos every 2 weeks during waterchanges for the time being until things are under control) and give it a good cleanup, I will definitely see a good improvement with my algae situation in a few weeks? And hopefully stop the issue from returning?

BTW, how should I be cleaning my filter? Should I be doing anything with the media balls in the 2 baskets? And how should I be tackling the gunk on the wet/dry foam tube thingy?

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
MarkW19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 05:19 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Panama City Beach, FL
Posts: 547
Just so you know, some of those snails are not reef safe. Thus if you have reef, you should not get them.
__________________

__________________
JPloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 05:26 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 1,744
OK, thanks - which of those snails aren't reef safe?

I'm looking for a good selection of mainly sand ones, with rock ones less important and not really bothered about glass ones.
__________________
MarkW19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 07:19 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Panama City Beach, FL
Posts: 547
It is my understanding that Cerith snails are not reef safe. Now others may not agree with me on this. My good friends have told me not to put them in my tank because they have been known to eat reef.

Bumble Bee snails also are iffy. I have them in my tank and they have never touched my reef. I have heard others say that they have had problems with them.

Nerite snails are another one that I have heard are not reef safe. I can not find anything to prove this. Maybe someone could lend us some more input.
__________________
JPloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:04 PM   #25
steve-s
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19
So, to verify:

Get a DI attachment for my RO unit.
Check....

Quote:
Get some snails (35g tank - how many, what sizes, what type(s), and will they interfere with my hermit crabs or shrimp or vice-versa? I guess they don't add to the bioload and can be put straight in the tank from the LFS after a drip acclimation?)
The hermits may prey on the snails for their shells, it really depends on the species of hermit and what empty shells are already available. The snails will have no impact on the bioload.

Quote:
Ideally, what type of snails, how many, and what size should I get out of the following, bearing in mind the majority of the algae problem is the sand, with the glass not being too bad (can clean it easily enough myself) and the powerheads/rock/fake plants fairly bad:-

Bumblebee Can prey on other snails, not a good choice
Turbo 5-10
Nerite 5-10
Trochus 5-10
Margarita 5-10
Cerith 10
Nassarius 10
10 of each cerith and nassarius for sure. The rest you can mix up as you please but an additional 15-20 over and above the first two I mentioned.

Quote:
Also, when I add the snails, will they use up the calcium in my tank more than the inhabitants are at the mo (fireshrimp, 4 fish, 10 small hermits)? My calcium is a little on the low side (approx 380) but I think is balanced against my dKH which is about 10.
I would make sure you maintain the DKH for the time being. The slightly higher level is most likely helping this from becoming a larger problem. The Ca definately needs to come up though. A proper balanced range for a 10 DKH alk is closer to 430 ppm Ca. The snails will however have little impact on the levels if doing weekly (or so) water changes. IO salts?


Quote:
If I do the above (add the DI and snails, clean the filter and change the rowaphos every 2 weeks during waterchanges for the time being until things are under control) and give it a good cleanup, I will definitely see a good improvement with my algae situation in a few weeks? And hopefully stop the issue from returning?
It will take more than a few weeks most likely but all these things will definately reduce the problem significantly. I can't guarantee it will be eliminated though.

Quote:
BTW, how should I be cleaning my filter? Should I be doing anything with the media balls in the 2 baskets?
Is this the anaerobic chamber in the Eheim or just the filter area? I can't remember what model you have... If just the media balls in the filter area, place them in a bowl with tank water and gentley swish them around. Don't actually clean them. All you want to do is loosen large debris.

Quote:
And how should I be tackling the gunk on the wet/dry foam tube thingy?
Eh?

Cheers
Steve
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:06 PM   #26
steve-s
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPloman
It is my understanding that Cerith snails are not reef safe. Now others may not agree with me on this. My good friends have told me not to put them in my tank because they have been known to eat reef.

Bumble Bee snails also are iffy. I have them in my tank and they have never touched my reef. I have heard others say that they have had problems with them.

Nerite snails are another one that I have heard are not reef safe. I can not find anything to prove this. Maybe someone could lend us some more input.
Nerite and cerith snails are completely harmless. Whoever told you that is quite incorrect. They are strict algae grazers and have no interest in anything else.

The bumblebee however is a risk but not to corals. They are primarily carion consumers but have been known to prey on other snails in the absence of other foods or when an easy meal presents itself.

Cheers
Steve
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:42 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 1,744
Thanks again.

So, approx 40 snails altogether? I won't be able to see any sand my tank will just be swarming with snails! :P

I have 11 hermits - half are dwarf blue-legged and half are dwarf reg-legged.

I don't have any "spare" empty shells for them, because when I got some from my LFS a while ago I got them home and they stunk something rotten, so I threw them away. And they came out of an invert tank in my LFS! :/

I changed from IO salt to Tropic Marin pro reef, and I add buffer to it before waterchanges to get the dkh and ph up. I can only really do water changes every 2 weeks. Will this make a significant difference to my calcium level (thinking about the snails bringing it down)?
__________________
MarkW19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:55 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Panama City Beach, FL
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPloman
It is my understanding that Cerith snails are not reef safe. Now others may not agree with me on this. My good friends have told me not to put them in my tank because they have been known to eat reef.

Bumble Bee snails also are iffy. I have them in my tank and they have never touched my reef. I have heard others say that they have had problems with them.

Nerite snails are another one that I have heard are not reef safe. I can not find anything to prove this. Maybe someone could lend us some more input.
Nerite and cerith snails are completely harmless. Whoever told you that is quite incorrect. They are strict algae grazers and have no interest in anything else.

The bumblebee however is a risk but not to corals. They are primarily carion consumers but have been known to prey on other snails in the absence of other foods or when an easy meal presents itself.

Cheers
Steve
Thanks! I really wanted to get some, but everyone I have talked to in my area was like NOOOO.
__________________
JPloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:29 PM   #29
steve-s
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19
So, approx 40 snails altogether? I won't be able to see any sand my tank will just be swarming with snails! :P
You will rarely see the nassarius or cerith much. 40 snails is a little on the higher side for your tank size (35 gal?) but you have alot of algae to deal with plus you can expect at least a 10% mortality rate as a rule.


Quote:
I changed from IO salt to Tropic Marin pro reef, and I add buffer to it before waterchanges to get the dkh and ph up.
Correct the alk level then the next day correct the Ca level. If it's balanced going in, it will be easier to maintain.


Quote:
I can only really do water changes every 2 weeks. Will this make a significant difference to my calcium level (thinking about the snails bringing it down)?
The consumption of CaCO3 from snails and the like is quite minimal. Even though they won't use that much, the chemistry still needs correcting. Improper chemistry can lead to premature death and inactivity.

Cheers
Steve
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:30 PM   #30
steve-s
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPloman
Thanks! I really wanted to get some, but everyone I have talked to in my area was like NOOOO.
I would really like to know where they got that idea? They are quite harmless.

I would suspect they may be thinking of a species that looks similar?? Who knows 8)

Cheers
Steve
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Algae problem foxmulder Saltwater Reef Aquaria 30 01-01-2010 11:15 AM
Algae Problem! The_Wolfman Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 20 01-22-2009 04:29 PM
Algae problem fran Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 12 09-17-2008 01:24 AM
Algae A Problem? Botia4Life Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 2 08-14-2005 11:24 PM
Do I have an Algae Problem? evenings Saltwater & Reef - Identification 1 06-05-2004 01:34 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.