Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2005, 08:33 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

How do I get the Ca up then, and how do I keep it at the correct level?

I can just imagine the whole tank being coverered with all these snails! How come I won't see the Nassarius or Ceriths much? Where do they hide?

Old 05-02-2005, 08:42 PM   #32
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19
How do I get the Ca up then, and how do I keep it at the correct level?
Get a stand alone CaCl additive. If available, I would highly recommend Kents Turbo Ca (dry beads).

Quote:
I can just imagine the whole tank being coverered with all these snails! How come I won't see the Nassarius or Ceriths much? Where do they hide?
Believe it or not, you won't even notice them much. The cerith will hide in and about the rock during the day, mainly being active after lights out and the nassarius dwell underneath the sand.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-02-2005, 11:13 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Will raising the Ca affect the ph or dkh at all? These have been stable in my tank since day one, so I really don't want to mess them up.

How is the Ca kept up at that level? Just by adding the Kent (like you do with buffer) at each water change before the water goes in, which is 20% every 2 weeks? I usually let the water mix for 12 hours before adding the buffer, then another 12 hours later add the water to my tank if the levels are ok. When during this period should I be adding the Ca? I don't want to be mixing the water for more than 24 hours if at all possible for domestic reasons.

I think I'll go with 10 nas and 10 cerith snails, and a couple of the rest, for a total of 30. 40 does seem a bit OTT

Would you definitely get some extra shells then for my crabs, when I get my snails? Getting them from my LFS before and them stinking and not looking very good has put me off putting them in my tank, that's all!
Old 05-02-2005, 11:36 PM   #34
steve-s

Quote:
Will raising the Ca affect the ph or dkh at all? These have been stable in my tank since day one, so I really don't want to mess them up.
Technically they're already "messed up". With the chemistry as it is, CaCO3 dependant animals will not grow properly and inverts such as crabs and snails will not be as active as they could. The Ca additions will not impact pH at all but can have a lowering effect on alkalinity if added directly to the tank. It will be minimal and easily corrected at your next water change as long as it's balanced. If I remember correctly, you have no hard corals only softies? If so, simpley add the Ca to the change water to regain the balance. After a few water chnages, it will come back eventaully, it'll just take much longer.

Quote:
I don't want to be mixing the water for more than 24 hours if at all possible for domestic reasons.
Best suggestion then is to get a CaCl additive like the Turbo Ca and add it to the tank directly predissolved in a small glass of RO water. About ½ teaspoon/day should do it in about a week.

Quote:
I think I'll go with 10 nas and 10 cerith snails, and a couple of the rest, for a total of 30. 40 does seem a bit OTT
The nassarius are not algae eaters so they will not contribute to the algae removal but rather help eliminate the wastes creating the algae. Your choice either way.

Quote:
Would you definitely get some extra shells then for my crabs, when I get my snails? Getting them from my LFS before and them stinking and not looking very good has put me off putting them in my tank, that's all!
I would find something. The crabs need larger shells to move into as they grow regardless of the snail additions. Not having the empty shells will just make the snails a much more eager target. Most hobby/craft stores will have empty shells fairly cheap. Just be sure they are unpolished.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-03-2005, 12:50 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okie, I'll add the Turbo Calcium straight into the tank then. As it brings up the Ca, will it have adjusted as much as it's going to within 24 hours? ie. if I test the next day and find it's x, I'm then safe to put the same amount in again and expect it to raise it by the same value again, if you get me? So I should measure every 24 hours then add some more in, until I get to about 430?

How long should I let the Ca dissolve in the RO water for? And should I stir it or anything or just drop it in and leave it?

So, the alk may come down if I do this, but I simply add a bit more buffer at the next water change to balance it back up again?

Then, when the Ca and alk are ok in the tank (ie. after about a week for the Ca), I just add the Ca directly to the waterchange water from then on? If so, how much Ca do I know to put in the waterchange or is it just trial and error, and when should I add it, remembering I mix for 24 hours before putting it in the tank, and add the buffer after 12 hours of mixing?

Cheers Steve, hopefully last questions!
Old 05-03-2005, 10:22 PM   #36
steve-s

Quote:
Okie, I'll add the Turbo Calcium straight into the tank then. As it brings up the Ca, will it have adjusted as much as it's going to within 24 hours? ie. if I test the next day and find it's x, I'm then safe to put the same amount in again and expect it to raise it by the same value again, if you get me? So I should measure every 24 hours then add some more in, until I get to about 430?
Exactly! The Ca level can be tested within a few hours after adding though.

Quote:
How long should I let the Ca dissolve in the RO water for? And should I stir it or anything or just drop it in and leave it?
Add to the RO water, stir and let dissolve. It will only take a few minutes and can be added straight away.

Quote:
So, the alk may come down if I do this, but I simply add a bit more buffer at the next water change to balance it back up again?
Most likely it won't move down much at all. Just test it and see. You can easily correct it at the next water change, most likely without the need of buffer. Large daily Ca additions will impact the alk much faster than only adding small amounts daily.

Quote:
Then, when the Ca and alk are ok in the tank (ie. after about a week for the Ca), I just add the Ca directly to the waterchange water from then on? If so, how much Ca do I know to put in the waterchange or is it just trial and error, and when should I add it, remembering I mix for 24 hours before putting it in the tank, and add the buffer after 12 hours of mixing?
What are the levels of your freshly mixed SW after adding the buffer? How large is the mixing vessel?

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-04-2005, 08:28 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm doing a waterchange later today, so I'll test the Ca after the buffer (ie. just before adding the water to my tank) to see what it comes out at. I'll also measure my mixing vessel to see how big it is (actually an acrylic fish tank).
Old 05-06-2005, 02:53 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Which are the snails on the list above that will cling to the glass and eat the algae off it?

I'm going to skip these - my glass doesn't get too bad and I dont want snails stuck all over it!

I just want the snails that will sort the sand out, and plants/rock.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:39 PM   #39
steve-s

All snails will migrate between the rock and glass. The only one that will remain soley in the sand is the nassarius but it will do nothing for the algae on the rock.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-06-2005, 08:56 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

To be honest, 90% of the problem is the sand. I think I'll maybe just go for 10 nassarius for now and see what happens. Can always add a few of the rest in at a later date if I want to tackle the plants and rock.

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com