Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2005, 07:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Algae problem!

My tank is a year old, and I started having green hair algae problems after about 2 months. This cleared up in time, and also I started using Rowaphos, which I basically replace when I see the algae start to come back (about every 3 months).

But, recently (the past 2 months or so) the rowaphos (which has been changed twice) doesnt seem to be keeping the algae under control.

Its all over the plants (green/brown algae) and sand all the time. If its scraped off, it reappears within a few days.

All levels in the tank are fine, except my pH has gone up recently (for the past year it's been around 8.2, but now it's at 8.4 (peak). This may be due to my change of salt though (from IO to TMPR), and the pH increase has happened gradually over the last couple of months (which does tie in with my salt change).

Can anyone suggest anything to help stop my algae??

Thanks,

Mark

Old 03-03-2005, 08:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Do you have a cleaning crew in there? What about phosphates? How often do you feed, what length of time and type of lighting do you use? All of these could be culprits of hair algae...

32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've got 10 hermit crabs and a fire shrimp. Haven't measured phosphates for a while.

I feed frozen food once a day at night, and my lighting is 2 x T5 39w actinics and 2 x T5 39w whites, on for 12 hours a day (actinics by themselves for the first and last hour).

I guess the increased lighting could have started the algae problem...I only added the actinics a few months ago, so the times could tie in...

What can I do to rectify the problem though?
Old 03-03-2005, 11:59 AM   #4
steve-s

Does the algae look like balls of snot with bubbles trapped in it? Do you still have the plexi lid on the tank?

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-03-2005, 02:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sort of :P Its like little bits of soft algae all over the place.

Yes I do.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Does the algae look like balls of snot with bubbles trapped in it?
Quote:
Sort of Its like little bits of soft algae all over the place.
You have red-slime algae aka cynobacteria. Change you water and really keep you tank clean. Do you have a skimmer? My skimmer has helped us alot with our fight against cyno. There is nothing that will fix it other than good tank husbandry.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I dont have a skimmer!

I change 20% of the water every 2 weeks, except the last time where I let it go a month because of ill health. D'oh.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would recommend getting one. I have been fighting the same problem for months and months now. We have it under control finally but if I do not clean the tank at least once a week it comes back.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:45 PM   #9
steve-s

Actually it sounds more like you have a dinoflagellate problem not cyano. It's usually associated with continually supressed pH or borderline CO2 problems which will often lead to this if left uncorrected.

It makes sense with the plexi lid but not with your reported pH readings (8.2-8.4). How much water flow (GPH) is in the tank and what size is the tank?

Can you post a clear pic of the algae. JPloman could very well be correct about the cyano but a pic would tell either way.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-03-2005, 08:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Steve - the tank is 35gal, and I've got 2 Maxijet 600lph's and my eheim filter for waterflow.

I'll try and post a pic tomorrow.

There are also lots of bubbles (which I dont remember being there before) which are on the powerheads and filter tubes, and also a few on the water surface line.

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com