Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-03-2006, 06:06 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
I had a serious outbreak of cyano a couple of months ago and am just sharing this for info purposes since I was later told by a number of people that it isn't recommended. I was getting sick of fighting it like it sounds that you are so this is what I did. My tank is a 50 gallon, mainly a FOWLR with the exception of having a few mushrooms and a condy anemone. I would siphon out as much of the cyano as I could. It was easy to remove since it would come away from the sand and rocks in sheets. This did almost no good because with just a couple hours of light it would come back just like before.

Next I added more powerheads. I had one chopping up the surface, and 3 aimed down around the rocks to eliminate as many dead spots as possible. I had some success with this. It slowed the growth way down as it didn't allow it to grow in sheets anymore. It was still there though.

Finally, I had a friend tell me how he had used the Red Slime Remover to get rid of his. I guess this is the "not recommended" part. He let me use his as he had plenty left. I pulled all charcoal, turned my skimmer off, and followed the directions with it. After 48 hours I didn't have a trace of cyano left in my tank and it hasn't come back in the last couple of months.

I did get some small ammonia and nitrite levels a few days after using it, so it did have some effects on my biofiltration, but did not harm any of my livestock. I saw that initially you said you tried red slime remover and it did nothing. Not sure if maybe you have so much of it that it couldn't do the job, or if maybe what you have isn't cyano, but that stuff made an immediate dent in mine. It could have also been that I had knocked mine back with the mechanical method enough so that the red slime remover could finish it off.

ColdFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:33 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via Yahoo to faerykisses
****, I think I got this too.

Luckily we just won a free DI unit from our LFS when they had a raffle last weekend. Our water is already prepared we are doing the water change today.

Other than really good water changes, is there anything else we can do???

"Fish are friends, not food"
faerykisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:08 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to robertfah
Oh, I forgot to add that I have an AquaFx RO/DI unit that I make my water with and my filters are new on it, but yet I'm still having this issue with Cyano/Hair algea. I'm ready to get a bigger clean-up crew and bigger PH's and hope that will do the trick.
90g Reef
robertfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:17 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
tool, if you have any PO4 it is enough to feed the cyno or algaes. It most likely is higher then .1, the cyno is feeding off the PO4 and what it does no consume we pick up with the test..
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:57 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
Seaham that makes sense so what should we do? Just keep doing water changes and clean rocks and everything else? There is no slime like algae in there just rust colored hair like stuff that goes away at night and reappears after about 1 hour of the lights being on.

tooldini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:34 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via Yahoo to faerykisses
After doing two seperate 10 gallon (ea.) water changes this weekend, with our new deionized water I have not seen the algae come back.

We re-aquascaped, vaccuumed the sand, cleaned the rocks, cleaned all powerheads and machinery, did the water change, and so far it has not reoccured.

I got a phosphate test and it shows the reading at .6, I know this is high, and plan on doing more water changes this weekend, and buying the phosphate killer bag that floats in your filter....not sure what its called.

We are also getting another powerhead for the right side of the tank so we can create some cross currents to get rid of dead spots.

It was alot of work but I think we might have got it...

Hopefully you have the same results. Good luck...

"Fish are friends, not food"
faerykisses is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com