Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2014, 06:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Algae problem and ecotech l.e.d. Lights?

Having a lot of algae breakouts wondering what everyone's settings are??

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 12-31-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by svegas82 View Post
Having a lot of algae breakouts wondering what everyone's settings are??

You will need to get Light, Ferts, and CO2 in balance. If they are out of balance, you will get algae...big time. You may want to start adding Seachem Flourish Excel as prescribed on the label on a daily basis to get algae under control. If the algae proceeds to take over, you can increase your dosage up to 1ml per gallon per day. If you have invertebrates you may want to use caution.

dcutl002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcutl002 View Post
You will need to get Light, Ferts, and CO2 in balance. If they are out of balance, you will get algae...big time. You may want to start adding Seachem Flourish Excel as prescribed on the label on a daily basis to get algae under control. If the algae proceeds to take over, you can increase your dosage up to 1ml per gallon per day. If you have invertebrates you may want to use caution.
Think this is sw I had to Google this led.. i know all planted leds haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 12-31-2014, 07:07 PM   #4

I was thinking my lights were to intense I reduced it...I'm cleaning the glass everyday

Old 12-31-2014, 07:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You may have a nutrient problem over a lighting one. Also how long are you running the lights? Is it a new setup? What are your parameters? Skimmer? GFO?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:57 PM   #6

They are a little new I'm running a skimmer my nitrates are a little high I'm not currently running a gfo and the lights are running for about 10 hrs total a day

Old 01-01-2015, 12:56 PM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

An increase in light can help in fueling algae growth when you already have parameter issues, but this isn't the root of the problem. Cutting the lighting back can help, even cutting the red out of the spectrum could as well, but it is the nitrates and phosphates that are the root cause.
There are two articles in my signature that can help you with your battle, but you will want to use ro/di water in your top offs and water changes, minimize feeding, effectively skimming, so on.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
An increase in light can help in fueling algae growth when you already have parameter issues, but this isn't the root of the problem. Cutting the lighting back can help, even cutting the red out of the spectrum could as well, but it is the nitrates and phosphates that are the root cause.
There are two articles in my signature that can help you with your battle, but you will want to use ro/di water in your top offs and water changes, minimize feeding, effectively skimming, so on.

You right they are the only two that are high I've started doing weekly water changes(ro/di) hasn't moved much. I tried to click on your signature wouldn't let me

Old 01-02-2015, 09:29 PM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Algae control in salt water tanks - Aquarium Advice

Another View on Algae Control - Helpful Tips - Aquarium Advice

Keep in mind that battles with algae are long ones. For example, if your nitrates are at 40, a 50% water change will only bring them down to 20! This is why it is important to ensure that the water you are doing the water changes with is 0, why we advocate using ro/di as there isn't anything in it at all that could be harmful or cause issues. Tie that in with feeding sparingly you can overcome the issue with time.
Also keep in mind that some algae isn't bad. There is algae in my reef tank. This comes from my use of distilled water, but there are some things that we can't avoid sometimes in life.
Just out of curiosity, what are you running your radions at? I run mine at 60% intensity.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Algae control in salt water tanks - Aquarium Advice

Another View on Algae Control - Helpful Tips - Aquarium Advice

Keep in mind that battles with algae are long ones. For example, if your nitrates are at 40, a 50% water change will only bring them down to 20! This is why it is important to ensure that the water you are doing the water changes with is 0, why we advocate using ro/di as there isn't anything in it at all that could be harmful or cause issues. Tie that in with feeding sparingly you can overcome the issue with time.
Also keep in mind that some algae isn't bad. There is algae in my reef tank. This comes from my use of distilled water, but there are some things that we can't avoid sometimes in life.
Just out of curiosity, what are you running your radions at? I run mine at 60% intensity.

I just lowered them down to 35%

Tags
ecotech, led, light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com