algae problem help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it sounds like your goin to have to do like meluso said and do about 10 gal every week. everytime you do the water change, jsut get as much of it as you can manually get, the toothbrush method works great. for the wall, scraping it off should work. switch feeding to every other day or every 2 days, this will help ALOT. i know its a bit scary at first, but it will really benefit your fishies. some ppl have reported that bottled water contains phosphates, so you might want to get the test kit and check it out, as well as your tank. you can then get something to run (phosban, polyfilters) to absorb it out of your water colunm....

10 gallons will be tough because my RO/DI system hold 3 gallons of water and it take 3 hours to fill up. But I will do 5 gallons every 5 - 6 days and 2 gallons every 2 days. I have my powerhead to the max. The algae wall is gone

very other day or every 2 days

I would check with your individual fish's eating habits/needs. I ended up starving my forktail blenny, when I switched to every three days. Every other day, IME, is good enough.

I would check with your individual fish's eating habits/needs. I ended up starving my forktail blenny, when I switched to every three days. Every other day, IME, is good enough.

Agree. I used to feed every other day but now that I have anthias in my tank, I have to feed twice daily XD

weemanpow3, chromis and clowns will be fine with 1 feeding per 2 days. My 2 clowns, 2 chromis, 1 sixline did fine

I am so mad right now I am feeding my fish every other day and the algae is growing really fast. Even with the protine skimmer on made for a 60 gallon tank and power head to the max made for 50 gallon. I dont know what to do. The next step is to take a bat to the tank glass. how long will this take for me to start seeing results of algae starting to die.

The tank is in a place where their is a lote of sun light but not on the fish tank.

The tank is in a place where their is a lote of sun light but not on the fish tank.

This will definitely help it grow. Can you cover the tank, so the natural sunlight won't help it grow?

I feed only 2 times a week. No problem (Provide seaweed for the grazers every other day) Heres my take based on my 75G I went through some serious algae issues with.
Cut feeding down..Seriously. Water change 5G *every* week, HOWEVER, you *must* know what the water params of the water you are using to top off and mix with. If there are nitrite and/or po4 issues with your source water, your never going to get ahead. I removed all mechanical filtration from my system...well in the 75 I still use a skimmer, but no 'filters' exist. I have found with out one the water is plenty clear (I also use UV 24 x 7 with weekly 5G wc's) The filter was just a source of ongoing maint and nitrate issues. The tank has been far better without it..Let the LR do its job. Anyway, speaking of UV and skimming, boost them. Slow up the flow through your UV a little and crank up the skimmer. You want to get as much trash out of the system as possible. If your not willing to part with your filters then replace, not clean them monthly. You've got to find the source of your issue though it *sounds* like you are over feeding. This is one of the most common and can take a year or more to start cropping up. Then, boom, "I have an unknown algae issue.." Flake food especially contains po4 and overfeeding builds it up over time until a full blown bloom is on.
Thats my advice.

Peace.

Back
Top Bottom