Algae problem. Need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drew300

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had my saltwater tank for a little over a year now. It was doing great until about 2 months ago I started to get a small bloom of hair algae. I test my water weekly. But since this algae bloom I've been testing everyday. I use the red sea ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate test kit. All my levels seem fine. I've done waterr changes every couple days and got my nitrates down to 0. They were at 10. My phosphates from what I can read are from 0.25 using API phosphate test kit. The algae is still an issue and now I'm starting to get a bloom of cyano [emoji58] anyone suggest anything? I'm also using RODI water. Here's a shot of my tank
Thanks

Attachments

• 20170715_155704.jpg
    20170715_155704.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 81
My wife and I only feed our tanks every 2-3 days. If we're going to be gone for a week, we'll feed three days in a row before we leave (no one comes over to feed them while we're out:whistle:)

She's working with a 13.5g reef tank containing a chromis, high-fin goby/pistol shrimp combo, an emerald crab and a small band of hermit bands.

I'm feeding a 40g planted fresh tank with around 40 or so dwarf/nano rasboras (espei, dwarf emerald, chili and exclamation point), 7 cory habrosus, 5 peacock gudgeons, 3 stiphodon gobies and a bazillion red cherry shrimp.

Fish do surprisingly well when you don't feed them everyday! A lot of internet wisdom may say to feed multiple times a day, especially with dwarf and nano fish, but mine do just fine with the exact opposite (y)

My wife and I only feed our tanks every 2-3 days. If we're going to be gone for a week, we'll feed three days in a row before we leave (no one comes over to feed them while we're out:whistle:)

She's working with a 13.5g reef tank containing a chromis, high-fin goby/pistol shrimp combo, an emerald crab and a small band of hermit bands.

I'm feeding a 40g planted fresh tank with around 40 or so dwarf/nano rasboras (espei, dwarf emerald, chili and exclamation point), 7 cory habrosus, 5 peacock gudgeons, 3 stiphodon gobies and a bazillion red cherry shrimp.

Fish do surprisingly well when you don't feed them everyday! A lot of internet wisdom may say to feed multiple times a day, especially with dwarf and nano fish, but mine do just fine with the exact opposite (y)
I wasn't feeding my fish everyday maybe just twice a week but a friend of mine gave me a male lytretail anyhias and told me he had to feed it everyday so that's why I feed everyday

I would do a couple large water changes to remove any heavy nutrients and you start seeing hair dying off you can also remove the affected rocks and scrub them in tank water
If your only seeing .25 the algae is most likely masking it

Back
Top Bottom